Dumaguete Info Search

Speculation and opinion related to local events

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by TheDude, Apr 4, 2019.

1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    We should be careful here. We don't have a vote here as guests in this country. To enter a position into the sphere of public opinion is to be adversarial to other positions. Actively agreeing with one position is actively disagreeing with another. That invites unwanted scrutiny for zero return. It's a risk with no upside and unlimited downside. It's a bad investment. We have already seen that the government will not bow to even the greatest pressures from abroad. We won't move the needle individually or even as a community. If we want to send a message, we can do so by moving elsewhere.

We have also how media (Rappler for example) has been held accountable for airing "news" which the government views as not helpful.

Personally, I would rather not be associated with these sorts of discussions even though I have participated in some of them. It's not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Is this a part of a new WWTDD series?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Why go out of your way to attract heat from the government? Just the other day I saw that Dumaguete is installing 300+ cameras around the city. The global tech industry is building an AI surveillance machine. That tech will easily get exported and adopted by all nations willing to play that game (all of them.) China's social credit system will go into effect in some flavor everywhere. In that world, I would rather become as invisible as possible.

It's fun to bag on everything in the Philippines. But I feel these discussions have been going too far. Maybe this is just tin foil hat crazy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. 1anthony

1anthony DI Junior Member Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +37 / 6
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I hear PLDT have the contract for the cameras, a bit on the side to someone!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    This is defamatory. You do not include any information to backup your claim.

Trolling – (verb), as it relates to internet, is the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional response.

It is comments like this that disrupt the flow of knowledge on this forum. What motivates you to make unsubstantiated comments? Are you a Russian who is jealous of the success of the Western economy?

• Like Like x 1
  6. IggyPop

IggyPop DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +115 / 50
    And I don't see no "delete post" button either, so our comments are ingrained forever?

7. OP
    OP
    TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    https://dumagueteinfo.com/board/faq/how-do-i-delete-my-account-posts.11/

I will never demand for anyone delete my posts or comment them out unless it's an extraordinary situation with an individual item. I'm okay with my posts being set in stone. I'm not going to stop contributing based on the topic concern. I'm just going to be more careful about what threads I contribute to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Is your personal identity information easily discerned from internet ? No need to answer. My question is a comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Do you think yours isn't?

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Not for me on this forum but even here, a person could enroll with an email address not traceable to himself and then post only from a TOR browser with a VPN. If a person did that, it would be difficult or impossible to find the actual IP address his offending post came from to identify him by getting valid information from the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk