Dumaguete Info Search

Spi global

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by adie0525, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Mae

Mae One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hmmm as an employee of SPI global, iwas hoping that my salary will be increase since

hmmm as an employee of SPI global, iwas hoping that my salary will be increase since i was a regular employee already..
    :rolleyes:

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Have you ever been promoted?

3. c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    SPi is a publishing company (assuming that you are not with CRM), so it is necessary that you read and write good English (American and British English).

Now to contend your point on why your salary was not increased, let me ask you: Do you deserve it?

There is an annual merit increase where employees who performs well gets a highly-deserved raise. If you did not get it, maybe you did not reach the standards.

Go ahead and check the post you made. It is grammatically erroneous. Remember, English is the tool of our trade.

Sorry for being harsh. I just don't like it when employees, like me, requests/demands for a salary increase when clearly they do not deserve it. If companies such as SPi, I assume you also work in SPi Mae, will give everyone who has turned from probationary to regular in employment status the salary they want, even if they are not performing well, then the business side will take the blunt because they are producing substandard jobs. I say substandard because the employees will not reinvent themselves and work hard to reach the top echelon of the work place. They already have a good salary, so why exert effort?

It's not that there are no room for errors, after all we are not perfect. Let's not bite the hands that feeds us because in the end, our achievements at work is of our own doing. Im being practical, where else do you earn as much as 25k in a month on a day job that allows you read and learn in Dumaguete?

Just my thought. I have been with SPi as a copyeditor for 4 years and I am loving it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    What's "good English"? Maybe it should be, "it is necessary that you read and write English well".

• Like Like x 1
  5. c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    There is nothing grammatically wrong with saying "good English".

"good" is an adjective, while "English" is a noun which is the subject of the adjective.

Even the popular author George Philip Krapp who was a professor of English at Columbia University from 1897 until his death in 1934 had the last chapter of his book entitled "What Is Good English?--Concluding Chapter of "Modern English".

So where is the error there?

Mainly, it is your choice of word that matters. You choose to use "necessary", i choose to use "good". :p

6. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    You're incorrect, and don't give me any more Krapp.

A person speaking does not speak "good English" unless there is a language called "good English"....
    A person with the ability to speak English correctly would also be considered to speak English well.
    This is what the term, "well spoken" refers to.

7. cactus-jack

cactus-jack Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    most folk have it all wrong there is only one english and that is british english - the rest is distinctly different there is australian english canadaian english new zeland english and the one that is totally different is our american english so when i am overseas in a foreign land and the natives there ask if i speak english i say no i speak american

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    These are not separate languages but different dialects. You speak English, American is not a language. The American dialect is the most widely used dialect of English since the fall of the British Empire and is the most commonly used in language courses.

9. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Actually there is more than one American dialect

[​IMG]

American English Dialects

10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Absolutely correct. The General American accent is what is used in most TV broadcasts, movies and used to teach people English as a second language though. This originates from the mid-west and is considered the most neutral accent, making it very hard to tell where the person comes from.

I honestly don't see any dialect as preferable over another or more correct than another. Some accents can be rather difficult to understand though. The UK and Australia is no exception to this.