Dumaguete Info Search

SRRV questions

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Marmar, Aug 11, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Marmar

Marmar DI Junior Member

Retired from landscaper
    Ratings:
    +49 / 2
    Looks like I'm gonna have to leave or stay illegally. If leave I'll go back to USA an come back here when I'm allowed

• Like Like x 1
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    The following letter from PRA was received by an SRRV applicant today and reported on his YouTube channel. I am wondering if Jemma might comment if this is actually true and if so, how this might impact current SRRV holders or SRRV applicants on this forum: unnamed.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And who wrote the policy that allow people of that age to retire? These retirement ages and their financial requirements have been in place for at least a decade. Funny that they are just now hearing about this. (I don't think they are really just hearing about this.)
    From another article:
    Politicians politikin'. :meh:

5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    "Not to cast aspersions upon our neighbor, would they allow us to retire at 35 there?"

LOL, they might let you buy land whereas you ensure everything gets into the hands of your own Filipinos.

You want reciprocity on equal terms or on your own terms?

6. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    From that article it looks like Sen. Dick Gordon put the fear of God into the PRA, enough to cause indefinite suspension of the whole program!

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1349919/gordon-on-35old-chinese-retirees-in-ph#ixzz6blxyqgaX
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. OP
    OP
    Marmar

Marmar DI Junior Member

Retired from landscaper
    Ratings:
    +49 / 2

8. OP
    OP
    Marmar

Marmar DI Junior Member

Retired from landscaper
    Ratings:
    +49 / 2
    That's not good as I just deposited the 10,000 on Friday the 23rd. Hope I can get it back

9. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    "Throw out the baby with the bath water."
    Sounds to me like the entire program is on hold until they clean up the loop hole that allows kids to use it to hide assets in another country, duh. Why not just stop issuing to anybody under 60 instead of everyone for the time being, but then again, that is too f'ng complicated for manila........

The problem began when the legislators were bribed (OMG, shocking) into changing the SRRV (Senior??) age to 35...

Also, as an aside, although I used an "expediter" for my original 2016 SRRV, I did my renewal entirely on my own by email & LBC with Jackie in Cebu PRA (not this year)...

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    35 year olds are not kids. They are old enough to have served in the military and in wars their countries have sent them into. A 35 year old could reach the rank of sergeant major. General James “Jumping Jim” Gavin was 29 years old when he reached the rank of Brig. General during WW2. It is not uncommon today for a 35 year old to become a Major or even a Lt. Colonel.

There is also no "hiding" assets with an SRRV. The money and people here on the visa are extremely visible to the government. Take this away and you still have another option for this age group (and even younger people) with just a bit more capital (and the added bonus of not requiring any retirement income), the SIRV. This investment visa, IMO, is far more dangerous to have a bunch of Chinese nationals dipping their toes into than a retirement visa. This gives them actual and measurable control over the local businesses and the economy.

Also, FIRE (financially independent/early retirement) is a growing mindset among younger people. Taking financial responsible to it's extreme and refusing to spend money on all the completely unnecessary and useless products and services that are constantly thrown in your face. During the last 3 years I was working I saved around 95% of my income to prepare for early retirement. Most people that can retire early has worked just as hard (or have worked much smarter) for it as those that have worked the majority of their life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1