Dumaguete Info Search

Retirement Visa STATESIDE TIMELINE FOR US VETERAN & COURTESY SRRV PROCESS

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by nwlivewire, Sep 20, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear robert k:

WOW! What a crock from PNB re: hold on WU check. Sounds to me they were milking it, too.

I'm wondering myself how this is going to shake out with me.

I established my PNB account (with an initial deposit) at the Los Angeles Branch. I was given the Los Angeles location routing number, but will have to wait 6-8 weeks for the ATM/account number.

I will wait to make my first transfer from Wells Fargo (WF) to PNB-L.A. until after I receive my first printed PNB account statement in the mail, and of course, after I get my ATM and account number.

This way I can compare the time sequencing - how long it takes for money to move, be converted, and then deposited.

Once I complete my first, in-person transaction, then I will wait until I get my 2nd statement to see what that time sequence was.

From thereon, I was told I can do all my account-to-account transfers via internet from WF to PNB.

So I'll let you know what the time sequence is from request to transfer funds from WF to PNB/LA Branch (USD to PHP).

Once I get to Dumaguete, I may want to open a local branch account so that I can transfer money from PNB/LA to PNB/Duma (PHP to PHP).

Hopefully, I won't get hit with another "service fee".

And hopefully, I can do this via internet with PNB (L.A. to Duma) and it won't take but 24 hours or less as it will already be in PHP.

*** Does anyone else do internet banking with PNB? If so, what has been your turn-around time to receive funding to your local account?

V/R,
    nwlivewire

2. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Sorry if I was unclear. It was my personal check from my US bank that PNB was sitting on. PNB charged me 100 php to deposit my foreign PERSONAL check, about $2.40 at the time. I realize that the check must physically go to the clearinghouse, but it should take no more than a week to do that even if it has to go to Manila. After it gets there it should only take a few days to process and from that point on it should all be electronic,, no excuse for them trying to take a months extra "float" on my money.

WU should be instantaneous or at least post next business day.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, the interest on normal accounts in USA is horrible (almost non-existant as it is here in PI) and the US banking system is not on very sound footing IMO either. I was just looking at this product though and wonder if you have heard or see anything on it yet?
    Want 1% Interest On Your Checking Account? You Can Get It, But Make Sure To Read The Fine Print
    and: The Summit Account | Aspiration

I am cynical and am looking for any loophole or catch in this as it seems to good to be true and as the old saying goes :If it sounds too good to be true it usually (almost always) is!" What are your thoughts?

DaveD

4. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear Dave:

Whwn I was at HSBC two days ago, on the clerk's desk was a fancy, 4-color phamplet on their "high-interest" bearing account of 1.1%. But I was so disappointed/disgusted with their 100K minimum needed for the 3% FTF waiver, that I didn't even pick it up, read it, or take it to peruse back to my hotel room.

However, this past fall, I ran across a book entitled, "2015 Going Global", an International Man Publication from Casey Research.

This book can be used as a DIY template and provides quite a bit of concise and current intel about/on offshore banking, storing precious metals overseas - even how to own a second passport - and more.

The basic ideas in this book are actionable for an everyday person, and in many cases, you DO NOT need to be a monetary 1%er in order to impliment many of these consevative investment ideas that can protect, preserve, an enhance one's assets - even if you are just starting out with a wee bit of coin.

The idea is to plant mutiple "flags" in various places, so that if another economic calamity occurs, then at least some of your assets (and you/family) stand a better chance of survival. And should another economic calamity NOT occur, you/your family will have an opportunity to grow, and your assets might also grow with a higher rate of return than what you currently "enjoy" in one's home country.

I recommend this book as I had been searching for answers to my questions for TWO YEARS before I found this book. It has saved me alot of research time as I have been wanting to "go global" ever since my Spouse passed and my subsequent retirement from military service.

I just didn't know that this idea I had been brewing had a term. This book is allowing me to distill my own international version, and shows me the "guideposts" I CAN use to plan my steps along the trail I am blazing.

Your mileage will vary. But this book is a useful template in a "plug and play" kinda way, or you can stack your blocks in whatever way can work best for you/your family.

This copy for 99 USD seems high to me as paid about 10 USD. So you may have to search a bit. Just make sure you are getting the Casey Reseach - International Man version as there is another book out there with a similar title that is NOT the one I've been writing about.

Secure Order Form - Casey Research

My Sister (Mother really) passed away at about 7:30 pm last night. She was a wonderfully stubborn woman with a heart of gold. I am greatful for having been in this world while she was here as her laughter and love so touched my heart and world.

I am the better - for sure! - for having known such a beautifully spirited human being.

RIP Sister - and know you are forever loved.

nwlivewire

5. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    My condolences for your loss. Words fail when things like this happen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My sincerest condolences on the loss of one so cherished. May she leave a bright path for you to follow in your own time!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thank you I will look into this book.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2016

SUBJECT: PHILIPPINE CONSULATE IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA & APOSTILLE PROCESS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE

My takeaway for getting documents apostilled prior to departure to the Philippines.

1. This Consulate is SCREAMING BUSY & packed with Philippine Nationals (and I do mean standing room only).

2. Get there FIRST thing in the morning so if lucky, you'll be done by noon.

3. Call before you go so as to make sure they are open that day - they are closed for BOTH USA and Philippine holidays.

4. Be sure to take a number and watch the monitor - if you miss your turn, you could be there until the next coming of Christ.

5. BRING CASH. Currently, no checks, credit cards or debit cards are used as payment for services. GET A RECEIPT.

6. EACH document needing an apostille (RED seal with GOLD ribbon stripe) COSTS 25 USD EACH. 200-300 USD will work.

***** I was VERBALLY told that an apostille will last up to ONE YEAR.

I did NOT get any documents apostilled as I am not ready yet. I still need my FBI check and then send all my documents to the US State Department for official notarinzing PRIOR to getting all my documents apostilled. They WILL NOT apostille until you have that document notarized by the US State Department first.

It will cost you about 200-300 USD to get all your documents officially notarized by the US State Department, too.

But it IS possible to get US State Department notarization AND Philippine Apostills done prior to departure.

Just make sure your original dated receipt of FBI check, State Department notarizations, and Philippine apostilling are ALL dated WITHIN SIX MONTHS of your "boots on the ground" date of arrival to the Philippine PRA.

In my email comms with PRA, they said they can do the State Dept. and Philippine apostilling in the Philippines. But I want to hurry this process up so I'm not stuck up in the North any longer than I need to be. I want PRA to help me focus on getting a drivers license and help me accomplish the other things they say they can do.

Don't know if this will speed things up, but it's worth a shot for me to try.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2016