Dumaguete Info Search

Storage Facility Availability

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by RichD, Jan 6, 2021.

1. RichD

RichD DI Forum Adept Veteran Air Force

Work?!?!?
    Ratings:
    +287 / 687
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My plan is to come to the Phils this summer, if allowed, for my life's last adventure. I have no idea where want to live. Traveling with two heavy bags on a bus is a drag while searching for "The Place" and I would want to park my excess baggage someplace while doing so. No friends or no woman to store it with, I ask if there are facilities available and where? Any ideas, folks?

2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Find somewhere as a 'base' - Manila would be best if you wish to search all over the Philippines (but, obviously, somewhere else if you want to explore just another island or two) as it is the air travel hub. Stay in a hotel for a few days and then ask them to store your luggage (online hotel sites often state if storage is available) - when you come back then stay a day or two and repeat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This has been asked here many times over the years. Nobody has ever provided a personal storage business in the area. I'm still interested to know if such a service exists here.

4. OP
    OP
    RichD

RichD DI Forum Adept Veteran Air Force

Work?!?!?
    Ratings:
    +287 / 687
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks all. A fellow forum member and innkeeper has offered me luggage storage. I also see commercial lockers are available in Manila and Cebu. I have done Bohol previously. For Mindanao, I don't care. LOL

My first thoughts are to buy a micro-van on Luzon and tour the island. Then Cebu, Leyte, Samar, and later Negros. I have no idea about ferry costs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AussieBob

AussieBob DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 2
    Blood Type:
    O-
    The only ferry ride I have been on with a car is Dumaguete to Siquijor, a 90 minute ride. Cost is around 2300 one way and includes the driver. You can easily research island travel and costs. Be warned, if you buy a car in the Philippines make sure the rego is in your name before you hit the road. You need proof of ownership and latest receipt for payment of rego to get it on board a ferry.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Except for the ferry to the southern tip of Cebu Island at Sibulan. For some reason that one is exempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I have been on many ferries all over the country with car or bike, and in all cases a photo copy of the vehicle documents (certificate of registration and official receipt of last payment of the fees, commonly referred to as OR/CR) was enough documentation for the vehicle. Bring multiple copies (sometimes they insist of keeping one for their records) and keep the originals somewhere safe. photo copies of drivers license / passport are also required sometimes, its a good idea to have a few of these around anyways.

generally, the more busy a connection is in terms of vehicle frequency, the easier and streamlined the process. ferries to some small islands can sometimes be complicated (and often have an erratic / hard to find out schedule), ferries that are highly frequented like the mentioned NegOr/South Cebu connection are easy.

I do not recall a single instance where they actually checked that my name matched the name on the vehicle registration, but it might cause some hassle if it doesn't and someone does check. In that case it may help to have a copy of the deed of sale or written permission of the registered owner handy. Any such document should be notarized since it isnt worth much here otherwise.

I would not say it is a total show stopper if you travel with a car thats not under your name, provided you have a notarized deed of sale from the registered owner as proof of ownership. the ownership change of the registration can be a bit of an ordeal which is why many dont do it when buying from a private seller. when buying from a dealer they should do that for you of course.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Haven't seen any mention other than "...., if allowed.." Be very careful about quarantine and travel rules, even this summer. The reason the Philippines is doing slightly well in the covid department is that travel between islands is very restricted, even with the big surge occurring in the last couple weeks....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I will have to remember this next time we are allowed into Cebu province. All those times we just rolled on to the ferry after buying the 70 peso ticket for the 30 minute trip without showing an OR, wow wonder how we did it? One clue is that the trip th Siquijor which requires OR issues a bill of lading for a registered vehicle; you don’t just show the OR, they issue you a B of L. Contrast that with Maayo’s ferry ride to Liloan port. It is like an extension of the road from one side to the other. No shipments, no bill of loading, no OR, just buy the ticket and go every 90 minutes. Maybe you never took this ferry, Jens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If the owner of both ports is the same person/corporation then the port authority/coast guard (the people who check registrations and documents) are not involved...or so I've been told...by someone...somewhere...long ago. No source available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1