Dumaguete Info Search

Stranded Foreigners?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Brian Oinks, Oct 2, 2014.

1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I think your mind-set is stranger than the scenario you are criticizing.

The U.S. has basically been built by immigrants taking a huge risk to get there. Internal and international migration elsewhere is also a huge force. Many of these people have little resources, which is why they are migrating.

Packing up your bags when you are 18 and heading out into the world with not much more than the clothes on your back is sort of a U.S. rite of passage.

Roll the dice and take the plunge. Do what you think will make you happier. The number of people out there who can make the move comfortably with the backing of a pension or income from savings is very few.

2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    As I remember, you must have a return or ongoing ticket to arrive in the Philippines.
    Not knowing this I purchased a single way ticket with a travel agent here in UK, fortunately I discovered my mistake before travelling.
    When I pointed this out to the travel firm, how my wedding plans may have lay in ruins, they very kindly gave me a return ticket at no extra charge and wished me all the best! :cool:
    So how did he arrive in Philippines and escape the notice of customs and immigration?

3. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I do not know how it works in America Dude, but if you come to Australia, you need to be able to support yourself for Two Years without any assistance from the Australian Taxpayer. If you come to Australia and have no proof that you are able to support your stay you are turned around at the Airport and sent back home.

Australia and New Zealand have an agreement between the two Countries where each are able to travel to the other easily, but again, to stay for any given time, one must be able to provide proof that they are able to support themselves or no Banana! It makes it even harder if they come here on a Tourist Visa as they are unable to work, so need to apply for a Work Visa, and again; be able to provide for themselves adequately for any duration should they not find work to be able to support their stay here.

I am not a Gambler so will not roll the dice so to speak, and I doubt there are many Countries who would accept me if my only form of income is via their Welfare system at the end of the day.

4. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You wont get deported if its under a year, but over a year you might get an order to leave unless you talk to court commissior

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Better be careful with that. I don't think there is anything stopping them from deporting you if you are 1 day overdue. Unlikely, perhaps, but it certainly is within their power. An immigration office has quite a bit of authority over a foreigner.

6. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    We have a lot of immigrants who aren't documented. They often get jobs that citizens don't want to do.

Just sayin' there are 7 billion people on this planet. The average monthly world income looks closer to that of the Philippines than it does the U.S. or Australia. Having the resources to support yourself for an extended amount of time is a luxury. Yet there is a lot of immigrating going on. Most have to get by just like people have been doing for centuries, by hustling.

We are discussing 1st world problems.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    How are so many people smoking downtown when smoking has been banned? How are so many people driving without helmets.

The laws don't always get enforced here. The requirement for an ongoing ticket is on the books, that's all the airlines need. They don't want to deal with being stuck having to fly you back home.

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't agree with the 2 years of support in Australia (not that any Australian should care what I think about their laws) but I understand the thought process. I don't think the "support yourself for 2 years" is the actual law though....no law is that simply put. I think that there must be special work visas in Australia that let third world citizens come into the country if they have a particular skill (or if unskilled jobs need to be filled). Very few Western countries have just 1 type of visa that allows people to come work.

The US has temporary special work visas and programs for farmer/unskilled work. It goes largely unused though as crossing the river is easier than filling out the paperwork for them. People NEED to be documented if they are going to immigrant to a country to work, skilled or unskilled. The process should be easier for people to apply (if it is not already.....the State Department website seems to make it look easy enough if someone was motivated to actually go through the legal procedure).

Once the process is streamlined then we should crack down hard on illegal immigrants. 1st border jump should be a warning, we give them the documents/literature that tells them how to do it legally in case they play the ignorance card (a civil offense that does not stay on their record). 2nd offense 1 year in a poorly funded prison (food, water, shelter and a bucket to sh*t in) (this should be a high misdemeanor that stays on their record for a time but does not effect their ability to get a visa). 3rd offense 5 years in prison (a felony along with a lifelong ban from ever receiving a visa to the US).

Off topic. My apologies.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  9. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That is very true but they Im pretty sure theyd much rather collect a nice fine as long as dont have a record..they check for "derogratory information" right there at the office if you overstay request an extensions. On my approval to extend it says also that if failure to pay they will start "deportation proceedings" and it explains you get an order from a judge, however you can get an attorney and blah blah money money beore a judge but you could also request an appeal. The main arguement in court would be why would they allow others to stay and others not..discrimination? Plus they are trying to build their tourism brand using the line everyone is getting sick of lol..i dont think theyd want to p*ss off too many tourists willing to spend money. But ultimately youre right..the technically can

10. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I have to disagree with Wrye about the prison for the US illegal immigrants. It should be a prison farm. If you come to the US, you can work on a farm, if you come the legal way, you get paid, if not, then you don't get paid. If you came to the US illegally to work at McDonalds, you still get to work at a farm and enjoy the fresh air, the [dubious] company of your compadres and the hospitality of the US, for one year.

• Like Like x 1