Dumaguete Info Search

Stranded Foreigners?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Brian Oinks, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Why would a doctor come to the US and work on a farm? Immigrants are crucial to the US and world economy. Forced labor for people who have committed no crime is deplorable and completely inhumane.

2. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    No crime? Enter Russia without a visa.

You are way ahead of the curve Wrye, most people do not realize that many of the Illegals are not in the US to get low paying Jobs. My father went to a doctor from Cuba who wasn't licensed to practice medicine in the US but he was anyway, he prescribed painkillers for my father, I believe there is a crime there. Every time I hear of someone who wasn't supposed to write prescriptions who did so anyway, they were in criminal trouble. I found out that the orthodontist who made my partial plate was an illegal from Mexico, I don't know if that one would be civil or criminal, still improper.

Maybe I am inhumane but the time is rapidly approaching where more, or even anything for the illegals is going to mean less for me and mine. If there is a choice to be made in the lifeboat, my loved ones win every time. My friends and neighbors next, then random legal residents of the US, then the illegals. I would not be here if I did not have money to spend. I am in the Philippines legally and I will keep it that way, or leave. I have no qualms about holding others to the standards I hold myself. If that makes me inhumane or even barbaric, so be it.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You said even if they came the legal way they would be working in the farm, only they would be paid. That's what I was referring to when I said not committing a crime.

You made it sound as if every single immigrant that came into the county would be put into a forced labor camp. I have no problems with labor prisons so long as they aren't abusive with the work hours and the people there have actually committed a crime.

However, I do not believe in double standards. If Americans don't get thrown in labor camps for breaking the law then immigrants shouldn't either. I don't know if your story about the doctors is true and I don't know the law well enough to know if a doctor can come over and set up a legitimate business without a visa (though I would think not). Did you pick those doctors for their low prices and did you know about it before you went? I'm curious how a person even find out a person is illegal. They could have came there legally and then had a lapse in their visa, we all know it happens, it doesn't make them a criminal anymore than it does in the Philippines when a person is overdue on a tourist visa. (I'm think that most doctors who become illegal first came with a visa.)

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    We are immigrants here, some legally, some with expired visas. Most of us help the economy by paying taxes for one thing or another. I guess that is why we are accepted here, if not well-liked. So are those with expired visas considered criminals?

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    One would like not to think so Pat! BUT a certain Mr Mison ( BOI Commissioner) Seems to like putting us all, as eggs, in the same basket, his answer is always, DEPORTATION. Some Attitude, for the Head of a Supposed Agency with a "Friendly Outlook to Tourists" NOT . If we are to believe their latest Song and dance thing we saw not long Ago. "Broadside" had it right in One. "Our money is welcome, We are not

• Like Like x 1
  6. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Im just wondering how this "illegal cuban Non licensed doctor" is presribing pain meds in the US..doesnt sound right to me.

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I will say this much for Manila BI, they have cleaned up their act in terms of corruption to obtain a visa, compared to five years ago. I had a 3 year work visa when I elected to retire and stay here. So I decided to apply for a Quota Visa which I had to pay about $5,000 to be assured one of the annual 50 allocated to U.S, as did my ex-wife. Now days they have posted the fees online and will not even accept a tip when I offered when I updated my visa last month. So one of the few positive comments for BI. Nevertheless, I find Dumaguete BI impotent to provide full service without an expensive Manila trip required.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  8. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I don't see where I said all immigrants, including legal ones, must work on a farm, but however you want to take it. I would put illegal immigrant doctors on a farm also, you betcha.

9. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    He was eventually discovered, arrested and deported. He was a real doctor from Cuba, just not licensed in the US, nor do I think his treatment was up to standards of the US. My father was one of the patients that died.

Maybe it seems strange to you because you work in a hospital. What about a doctor who does not work in a hospital and just has private offices?

About 10 years ago there was a "doctor" in Oklahoma who had dropped out of med school and been practicing medicine for more than 30 years. May even have been a fair doctor. The only thing that got him caught was that his surgery was filthy and about 15 of his patients came down with the same bad infection in a period of 3 months. If he had kept the same janitor, he may never have been caught. People without security clearances work for the federal government in the US on a daily basis, nobody checks like they should anymore. Recently there was an Illegal immigrant found to be working for the state police in Arizona. If someone had checked them all the way back to their birth record, they would not have been hired and issued a firearm that it was illegal for them to carry.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Well in the US pharmacies theres a automated system ( I dont recall what its called) that verifies the IDs written on "Controlled Substances" and that its issued by the appropriate DR licensed and verified before they can dispense otherwise its putting the pharmicist at liability risk..Regardless if its a hospital Rx or a private practice Rx it still has to have the appropriate DEA license # on it as well as be double checked through the pharmacies software.. Go ask your local pharmacist in the US

• Agree Agree x 1