Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Stroke - Lessons Learnrd

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I am making this disclosure hoping it may help others. I had a stroke in September. I got the stroke because I was stupid. I thought because I don’t smoke, drink red wine instead of beer, cut the fat off the meat I eat, go to the gym 4-5 times a week, and have very little stress that I am healthy. Absolutely not! I had not been to see a doctor for 7+ years, I stopped taking cholesterol medication for a hereditary problem about a year and a half ago - I had been taking it for 15 years, and most of all I ignored the warning signs that I was experiencing. I also stopped paying attention to what I was eating. When I was admitted to Siliman Hospital on Sept. 30 my blood pressure was 200/100 and my cholesterol level well over 300.
    My stroke impacted the section of the brain that controls balance, movement, and control, and also causes numbness and tingling in my left (good) arm and leg and partial temporary paralysis in my right (affected) leg and arm. I am right handed.
    When something catastrophic like this occurs you need lots of help. Realize you cannot walk, drive, shower, use the CR, all without help. My vision in my right eye was affected so I could not walk. Basically, you are confined to a wheel chair and the ones they sell here are small and cannot last more than a couple of months. u also need an expensive therapist to come to you home 3 times a week and pay for expensive meds.
    Given I hate being in a wheel chair so much I therapy on my own daily and can now walk with a cane if someone is balancing me. I will start back at the gym Monday with a trainer and my helper. Still a long uphill road to be able to walk and use my right arm but I will get there or die trying.
    lessons learned = this really sucks, don’t let it happen to you.

• Like Like x 2