Dumaguete Info Search

Stroke - Lessons Learnrd

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Jan 24, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Stroke Recovery - 6 Months Report.
    I went into the hospital 6 months ago and was fortunate to survive. So today I guess I have as many positives as negatives. The problem is some of the more critical ones are still work-in-progess.
    WHAT I CANNOT DO
    I do not have balance. That means I cannot walk on my own cannot get out of bed, goto the CR, shower myself, or of course drive.
    I do not have much control of my right arm, hand, or leg. My good side is numb with no hot or cold feeling.
    The only pain I get is about 4 times day my right eye has a brief sharp pain that brings me to my knees.
    I lost 22 pounds.
    WHAT I CAN DO
    I have most of my eyesight and voice back, and can swallow almost normal.
    I can walk if someone is holding me and now I can walk about 75 meters on my own if I have a person on both sides of me preventing a fall.
    I can go to the gym with my driver and a trainer assisting me, including riding the treadmill and doing all the machines.

SO WHAT’S AHEAD
    I am disappointed I don’t have balance and full control of my right hand. So this week I bought a life vest and will add water therapy to my workouts, at a generous friend’s resort pool. I will work to increase walking on my own to 100 meters. I have added more fruits and vegetables to my diet and will eat fish once a week (don’t like fish, meat and potatoes guy), and will cut way down on wine. I will continue to take the necessary meds - I need to go to Manila to the VA to sign up for the free meds program as soon as I can walk on my own.
    Finally, I will never ever quit trying to get back to normal.
    Hope this might help someone.

2. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Keep going Pat. You're way ahead of where you were 6 months ago, when the only way was up. Anyway, since when did a Marine need a life vest ? You're supposed to walk on water !!! Let me know when you are ready for a rifle drill session and I will resurrect my DI's voice. :rolleyes:

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Keep up the good work my friend. I'm glad you are getting better.....

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    PatO,
    If you're really keen on hearing a DI's voice….just let me know….It's a period in my Marine Corps past I'd much rather forget…(worst time of my life - you can imagine the hours and stress) but for you I'd do it….Note: it's the 70's rendition so you may expand your four-letter vocabulary….It's not the same anymore - my son told me they are now a joke - having to refer to a brochure to everything they do…..I'll PM my phone number at your request though. Glad to hear you are improving!!!….it does take a while in many cases. A workmate had a moderate/severe stroke…and about a year before he was really operational again….then he said bugger it and quit….actually he said FU I quit…..

5. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Stay positive Pat.
    God loves a tryer and you are just that. Best wishes JB

6. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Don’t need the phone call mate, my memory and vocabulary are still succinct from the brainwashing, as my poor little lovely wife has to hear occasionally. Semper Fi.

7. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    It's good to read all the progress you made so far after what happened 6 months ago.
    As an old marine myself, though from a different corps, we know giving up does not make part of our vocabulary.
    Keep faith and have trust you will be able to defeat the remaining obstacles that will finally lead to a recovery you would never believe when you realised what did overcome to you. Wish you lots of power, strength and what else more that can be of any help for you to achieve your goal.

8. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Pat0,
    I'm very sorry to just learn about your unfortunate illness! From what read, it seem that you are emotionally and mentally well equipped to defeat the remaining symptoms. I, myself, have "defeated" 2 separate cancer occurrences...and in both instances, the docs said that 1/2 the battle was in attitude - and you sure seem to have the right, winning, attitude.

I was VERY surprised ( and happy) to see your comment about Silliman's actually being prepared and ready to treat a stroke victim! ( " Some folks may be surprised to hear that Siliman Hospital was well-equipped to handle a stroke victim. There was no delay in giving me a CT-Scan and the correct meds and later a therapist.").

I have often wondered about that! I have been concerned if I should tell my wife to even bother calling the local municipal ambulance if I had either a stroke or heart attack, as my last impression with Silliman's ER was NOT a pleasant one: no one could speak English in the ER, other than ask about the various colors and textures of my most recent stool, the attending "Doctor" could not get some sort of diagnostic machine to work - so he quit in disgust and just walked away....literally left me laying on a bed ( that I didn't want or need) , didn't say anything to any one...the nurses had no clue whatsoever....and the hilarious part is that the only reason we were at the ER was to pick up a form that my Internest doc had left there for me!!!!!!! LOL - not!!!!

I am soooooooooo delighted your experience turned out for the better. Not to be corny, but I'm sure whatever "God" you may believe in, is /will take care of your complete recovery
    Don 'Litenup'
    DreAmland

9. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Update… I got out of the hospital 8 months ago today, from a stroke. Some of you are like me with little use of your good arm and leg, some of you are worse, brought on from stroke, heart attack, diabetes, military disability, etc., and some of you are overdoing the good life and heading toward the hell I went through. The latter are the purpose for my updates.
    My problem has been very costly in terms of both pesos and the things I am unable to do with my little boy. That gives me the inspiration to work extremely hard and eat a healthy diet to get my strength back so I can walk again.
    I am not a preacher, just offering take it or leave it advice.

10. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Greatly admire your spirit Pat,
    Stay with it buddy regards JB