Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Stupid is as stupid does

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I may, I may not.
    I definitely don't stay in my traffic lane if it doesn't suite me and I pass far more vehicles on the right than I do the left.
    I do.
    I don't even know what this means...but it sounds fun.
    No I won't. Well, I would but it would cost them a small fortune.
    I wouldn't.
    I would deny most.
    Not unless it directly benefits myself.
    And? What about the rest of the universities?
    Lol

I don't like this racial crap. Knock it off. Everything you just mentioned could be done or not done by any person of any race.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    Stupid is as......

This week I ran into a "problem" that takes the cake.
    My wife wanted to book 3 rooms for two days at a resort in Camotes. The resort insists that the money be deposited into their account at BPI. I could have done that online from my Metrobank account. NO the cash had to be deposited at a BPI branch. The resort did not want to loss the 250 PHP cost of getting an incoming wire transfer.

My wife doesn't feel like driving to town and spending 2 hours at BPI neither do I.

The resort can forget the 17,000 pesos for rooms and whatever else our friends and I would have spent on food and drinks at their resort.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    To keep the mosquitos away is another reason.

Please don't try to speed up the Westernization/modernization of the Philippines. If you want to live in the West go back to the West. Some of us like the Philippines, with all its faults, the way it is. Also, most foreigners currently living in the Philippines wouldn't be able to afford to live in the Philippines if it developed enough to stop all the foreigner whinging. Most would have to move to another underdeveloped country...and then start complaining about how that country isn't developed enough, so they can start the process of shooting themselves in the other foot. Stupid is as stupid does.

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    This "lack of common sense" is a common trait across many Asian countries. It's certainly not exclusive to The Philippines.
    I have encountered the same problems living, working, and running a business in China and Cambodia.
    One must understand though, that a lot of it comes down to their education. In Western countries we are taught to question things, use our imagination, have our own point of view, and "think outside the box". In Asian countries they are taught to copy and remember what they are told and then regurgitate it come exam time. Try asking a typical Chinese teenager to use their imagination and you'll understand what I mean.
    There's no point in letting it get to you or trying to change the system, it ain't gonna work. Just pick the bloody olives or mushrooms off the pizza when it arrives if that's what it takes.

Having said that, I've met a huge number of expats who are also pretty bloody stupid too :smile:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    wearing sandals with white socks, walking in the sun half naked, eating bread for breakfast instead of rice, drinking beer in the morning, building a huge house for only 2 people, not learning/understanding the local language, arrogant white pride attitude, complaining about food / service etc ... just to mention a few more or less important issues.

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  6. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    What is intelligence?

To me, it's the ability to survive. Stupid is catastrophic failure. Anything beyond the ability to survive is just virtue signalling. It's boasting about how great you are. The sad truth is that a feeling of greatness is why a lot of foreigners are here. A crap pension in the U.S. with no love can become a dramatic boost in the Philippines. Your Philippines starter kit when you arrive is an upgrade in economic status and a girlfriend. Foreigners may not feel as privileged in Dumaguete as they once did, but they're still in a sort of alternate status reality where they aren't subject to the same rules. You get a hat tip and an exception from being dog**** as is typical of immigrants. If you came to the Philippines to get more bang for your buck, then why rub it in? Just chill and enjoy your blessings.

Stupid is the brilliant mathematicians, coders and wall street traders who blew up the economy in 2008. Smart is the Filipino polymath who can survive under the roughest conditions. Throw a super computer into the woods and it will immediately die. A stupid wild animal with no frontal lobes is an expert in survival.

Philippines society serves the Philippines just fine. The businesses which operate here serve to the locals. Foreigners do bring in money, but mostly to a tourist industry. The Philippines will change as the people here demand it. Foreigners won't move the needle on this. So then, we just b*tch and make foreigners look bad.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Genius Genius x 1
  7. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "Stupid is as Stupid does" aptly describes this thread!

Is a thread ever retired or does it remain for ever in Dumaguete Info. Forum? ....ready to be brought to life again <groan> by someone new complaining about living here.

Adjust to the culture and lets move on.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I see in many different countries that are experiencing influxes of migrants, that a major complaint of the citizens living in those countries are that many of the immigrants don't want to assimilate into that country's culture.

Sort of ironic that many of those citizens would come to another country and be guilty of the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    I think Pompolino is right about the cause of most of the problems. It is simply bureaucratic behavior, you see it everywhere when dealing with government. You see something that doesn't make sense and ask the person to change it, but the default answer is always no. You don't get fired or get in trouble in a bureaucracy for saying no, you don't get more work that doesn't benefit you in any way for saying no and what doesn't make sense right now might have made sense at one time, but it can't be changed without authorization.

Staff is seldom given any leeway in the PI, that isn't how management thinks or is trained, they themselves probably have little leeway, so it all rolls downhill. The good news is, that like most things, things are getting better, although slowly. Probably the best thing to do is support those little islands of hope that you find and hope that others follow.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    All generalisations are wrong.

• Agree Agree x 6