Dumaguete Info Search

Stupid is as stupid does

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by tis me, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    This is spot on. Everyone wants what they don't have. But once they get that, then they don't want that either, and it just repeats and repeats until they die just after realizing they wasted their lives complaining.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    Yeah, I don't think a few people trying to change the "out of stock" situation is going to ruin the country and I'd be more than happy to make the Philippines less affordable if it improves the lives for Filipinos. I don't think there is much that I can do about either but I do think trying to improve things, no matter where you live, is a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. OP
    OP
    tis me

tis me DI Member

Ratings:
    +196 / 45
    The most sensible statement made since this thread started. I agree with it 100%

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    Stupid is as......

This week I ran into a "problem" that takes the cake.
    My wife wanted to book 3 rooms for two days at a resort in Camotes. The resort insists that the money be deposited into their account at BPI. I could have done that online from my Metrobank account. NO the cash had to be deposited at a BPI branch. The resort did not want to loss the 250 PHP cost of getting an incoming wire transfer.

My wife doesn't feel like driving to town and spending 2 hours at BPI neither do I.

The resort can forget the 17,000 pesos for rooms and whatever else our friends and I would have spent on food and drinks at their resort.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    What if you offered to pay the extra 250p?

6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    My wife talked to them. She didn't ask about paying an extra 250 pesos as she was pretty annoyed with them. She did offer to pay using one of the local money transfer outlets but they weren't interested in that. She was told if she sent the money by Friday that would be okay. This afternoon (Wednesday) they called her to ask why she hadn't sent any money and said if she didn't send it right away they might cancel her reservation.
    My wife can swear in about 5 different languages but she didn't. LOL
    She was talking to a receptionist and knows they don't have any decision making ability.

7. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Nothing unusually for the Phils. In 2010 I was looking around for furnitures after I rented a non furnished apartment. @Uymatiao (correct spelling?) I found a very nice looking 2 and 3 seater combination. Paying cash they allow me a discount of 250 peso. It could have really have made my day....When I was asked where to deliver the delevery fee was set on 300 peso. So instead of a discount I was charged 50 peso more. The 2/3 combination itself was priced @ 25.000 peso. Any way they were not interested to decrease the delivery fee to 250. So I left the shop. Obviously the profit on that unit was so tight they could not afford.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136

It's not that, this is what is called in the PH "Custom Service" I had a row with them this morning, same topic, still mad.

9. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have been able to negotiate discounts a couple of times - buying multiple appliances from Du Ek Sam on Real St. The people in the shop couldn't authorize it, but they phoned a regional manager for permission.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    I think this is an important point. Dumaguete is a regional town so the salesperson (even local manager) has absolutely no authority to deviate from a set position. My partner was previously in charge of 14 staff selling a certain brand at Lee Plaza - she was not employed by LP but by the brand itself. Whilst transacting, she had no leeway to authorise any form of discount or extra in the sale and on the multiple times she contacted her area manager she was not provided any form of authority to sweeten the deal. So she simply stopped asking yet she would get instructions from that same area manager about allowing a discount when the customer had contacted the head office (in Manila) or even the area manager (in Cebu).

The Stupid is as Stupid does... applies to the top management for not trusting their local managers to make decisions based on what they saw in front of them. My personal experience is that staff members performed far better when they were empowered. Sure there were a few thieves and idiots that I employed and suffered the consequences of my poor judgement but they were weeded out quickly, the staff that remained became brilliant salespeople that were the core of a successful business where each felt respected and appreciated - many are now life long friends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.