Dumaguete Info Search

Stupid is as stupid does

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by tis me, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86

Yes, it seems this ability to think beyond A to B is a common paradigm here in the Philippines. Very few understand that there is a C, D, E, etc after B. Always need someone to show them C and beyond. Very disheartening.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    Must be Shakeys on the Boulavard. Same thing happened to me but I was not informed that my order was OUT OF STOCK until everyone else was being served. When I refused to pay the automatic 15% "Service Charge" for the waitress the manager came to our table and asked if it was okay to discount our meal by 15% and he pay the waitress a tip. So, no matter what, bad service gets paid and no matter what you think this paradigm rolls on. Expect the unexpected when it comes to logic in the Philippines. I think it must be something in the water???

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. IggyPop

IggyPop DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +115 / 50
    That's because when you achieve B either the family will demand a part of it, the government will want to take it, or a typhoon will wipe it away.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    I think Pompolino is right about the cause of most of the problems. It is simply bureaucratic behavior, you see it everywhere when dealing with government. You see something that doesn't make sense and ask the person to change it, but the default answer is always no. You don't get fired or get in trouble in a bureaucracy for saying no, you don't get more work that doesn't benefit you in any way for saying no and what doesn't make sense right now might have made sense at one time, but it can't be changed without authorization.

Staff is seldom given any leeway in the PI, that isn't how management thinks or is trained, they themselves probably have little leeway, so it all rolls downhill. The good news is, that like most things, things are getting better, although slowly. Probably the best thing to do is support those little islands of hope that you find and hope that others follow.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    as long as I share and understand all the described frustrations, I still would say, that what makes no sense from one's eye, still makes sense to another one. It's their culture, not ours. Don't we expats all come from countries where more or less everything makes a kind of sense? So why did we choose to settle down here? Ask anyone in a positive way; mostly the answer is: The more relaxed lifestyle, things are more easy going, more personal freedom. So that's the way it is, and that means things are out of stock, people are not willing to work hard to fulfill our special wishes etc...Yes, it's not always that comfortable but I still prefer that the filipinos will not change their style, otherwise life wouldn't be so chilled here anymore. Btw; I wish to find a filipino forum with the same topic "Stupid as ..." about us foreigners, would be surely funny and surprising to read...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Great to learn you understand, though, as far as I am concerned with the exmple I gave, it had nothing to do with any kind of frustratiuons. I simply walked out of door and went next door where the owner of that shop was not that stupid as his neighbour and got my business. About the other issues, relaxed lifestyle, more personal freedom.....as long as the balance is still positive I will stay, the moment I get the idea things are going wrong; if any, off I am.

7. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    Many things that foreigners do are regarded as strange or amusing by filipinos.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Can you give some examples? Very curiously it might also refers on me.

9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I see in many different countries that are experiencing influxes of migrants, that a major complaint of the citizens living in those countries are that many of the immigrants don't want to assimilate into that country's culture.

Sort of ironic that many of those citizens would come to another country and be guilty of the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    To complain about greed and indifference is not complaining about culture... just sayin....

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.