Dumaguete Info Search

How to Best Posts in Thread: Sub devision proper type for sale around Dumaguete.

1. DELETED-shotshapers

DELETED-shotshapers Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sub-division........dont be fooled by all the lovely brochures, it will be filipino standard (poorly constructed), will also be a lot smaller that you imagine, cannot pick your neighbours, will be drug-dens/havens in a few years time......especially if you are buying from the plans, its possible the area will never be completed, the roads left unfinished, no streetlights, no security guards, no boundary fences/walls..........thats all on the outside, give it a little time, then your doors an windows going to start to warp, and open by themselves, then the electric going to give you grief........and good good good luck trying to contact the builders to fix anything, they will be long gone

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I would add to that very good list, the fact that if you buy and neighbours (or whole neighbourhood) turn out to be from Hell, you will find it very difficult to sell the house and may have to live there in torment.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    If a new member, sorta assume new resident. Strongly second the idea of renting for a year or so. We visited in 2015 for a month, moved here in mid-2016, and although researching since day one, didn't get serious until after 12 months. I heard about a guy who spent 12 million on a small lot and junk one storey house that he found on the internet, then dumped another couple mil into renovations (probably just a rumor or more money than brains)...
    A few notes:
    Valencia will be nicer than Dmgt, better gummint, services, and 5 degrees cooler and cleaner air and less traffic... BUT be prepared to pay for that. Be careful about Bacong, the mayor had a hand grenade tossed into her front yard...
    FIRST; decide how big a lot, 100 square meters, 500, 1000, 5k, 10k, >1 hectare ?? Be VERY CAREFUL ABOUT TITLE OR TENANTS. If an agricultural tenant exists, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Be sure to pay for a good real estate attorney to look at everything. I know people who bought a lot soon after arriving and before they even built, decided it was too small.
    It will be a hell of a lot easier to buy an existing house, then renovate it, than to try to build from scratch. Be careful about contractors, and never pay for anything except some materials up front. Look for good layout and good location.
    SET your budget and how much you want to put into a property. ASSUME that once you are there, you WILL NOT be able to sell it ever, unless it's a nipa hut.
    Also, we never looked at a subdivision except for tierra alta. If you do, be prepared to pay higher per sq mtr than raw lots. We found a nice lot for 400 per sq, but it broke some of the above rules (long story)...
    I'm sure people can add to this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Best Answer
    Not sure if you are new to the Philippines BUT consider renting before buying. You can test out an area you like, can find out if this city suits you and can compare renting v buying. I am VERY firmly in the camp of renting and that is not a financial need. Others will have strong opinions on buying and you do, of course, have your own mind to think with - but if you are new to the Philippines then do not make rash decisions, even if driven by another person's wants.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Last post hit nail on head as property very easy to acquire but much much harder to sell!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I am of the mind set to rent rather than buy. Been there done that as far as building is concerned. Have seen relationships almost ended over it, mine included. Nice to have a fall back residence to go to in case of emergency in Bacolod, but we prefer Dumaguete, visit Bacolod and family occasionally. Far enough away from relatives, we can get there easily, not so for them.

I say rent because you never know when it is going to hit the fan in any area here. Anything from what happened in Marawi (terrorist occupation and small war) to a natural disaster (volcano, earthquake, typhoon or just being flooded out one to many times). Renting makes it easier to relocate anytime without much loss of property (easily replaced).

• Agree Agree x 3