Dumaguete Info Search

Super hot peppers

Discussion in 'Farmers Market' started by ShawnM, Jul 21, 2023.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM Living the dream, Plan B ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,768 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Curious if there is much of a market for super hot peppers; such as the Reaper, Ghost and Scorpion. I partnered up with a local here in Guam to grow peppers (200 pepper plants in raised beds so far). Plants are just starting to flower now. Guam is starting to push the limits on heat for Dinanche, plus I was just starting plants when the typhoon came through so I was able to bring them indoors to save them.

Just wondering if it would be worth trying to grow some on our farm there in the Philippines. If not I’ll just stick to the local pepper, Korean (love them) and Poblano. I’ve also started peppers called the Ghostly Jalapeño cross that is suppose to only be the same heat as a Habanero. I’m really looking forward to that one.

The wife says she’s seen some peppers in the market occasionally that are suppose to be really hot, but she is not familiar with the super hots so I really don’t know what type of pepper she has seen.

Shawn

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,023 / 1,093
    I see many types of Peppers each weekend at the street Market and also many at the Market, They are about every where. I have 3 plants and one is almost 7 ft tall with over 200 Peppers almost matured. I have a Friend over on Siargao Island, that sells in Jars, a pepper and Garlic butter that is crazy good. He has done very well with it apparently. Had 2 Jars of it and used it all up. Point being, perhaps think a Product over straight up Peppers. would maybe be more fruitful.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  3. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 17
    We like it spicy too and when I asked if we should put spicy peppers on the farm the locals said they dont sell as well as the sweet peppers.
    They do sell for a high price, just low volume.
    Most people here just eat the tiny red peppers that grow wild (the kind at the restaurant with Calamanci). We still planted them, more for us to turn into jelly and hot chili oil.

4. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM Living the dream, Plan B ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,768 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Thanks for the replies. I'll start some when I get back home.

Shawn

5. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,768 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Planning on doing chili powder as well. Peppers are starting to produce a bit. Will be expanding the number of plants soon.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1