Dumaguete Info Search

Super typhoon to hit thursday night...

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by shadow, Nov 5, 2013.

1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Right, the typhoon isn't here yet. When Pablo hit, it was remarkably calm right up until the thing hit with full force. The change was quite abrupt with not much of a lead in. It seemed equally abrupt to end after the leading edge of the eye passed over us.

2. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
  3. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Yeah but keep also in mind that one of the most devastating here was not even classified as a typhoon. Nobody was prepared at all for Sendong, they were too busy looking out the window until it washed the house and carabao away!

Larry

4. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Typhoon versus earthquake (time to lighten up)

After the last earthquake, I said I preferred earthquakes over typhoon, but that was not well received. Since I have no cable this morning I took the time to express my feeling here.
    ANTICIPATION: With TYPHOONS; the fear of “will it or wont it” goes on for days as the reports come in and then change. With EARTHQUAKES; little anticipation happens. The first awareness and response usually is: “What the hell was that?”
    Many stress questions: With TYPHOONS: (done in the days before the Typhoon) how much damage will I endure? What preparation do I need to do? With EARTHQUAKE; (done only after earthquake is realized) Hon, is the dog alright? How about the kids? Are you good enough condition to sweep the floor again, some things may have fell?
    NO WASTED TIME: With TYPHOONS; days of reading blogs, talking to neighbors and other preparation occurs. Waiting in line for supplies etc.; With EARTHQUAKES; Preparation usually is limited to conversations starting with “nah… it will never happen to us.”
    UTILITIES: With TYPHOONS; Utilities Company anticipate and turn off the utilities days in advance. I woke up for with no cable TV so I do not know what is happening. This makes my anticipation much more fun, as I “fly blind.” My neighbor texted me to say it may be months until it cable is turned back on. With EARTHQUAKES; utilities are only turned off after a structure has collapsed and then most likely not even then. By utilities not responding to the need for for safe structures, there is more entertainment provided, making up for the cable being turned off. We can all have the added excitement of watching to see if any one does the “electrical dance” as they search the collapsed structures or even walk down the street as wires are laid about.
    NO LONG LINES: With TYPHOONS; Emergency supply buyers crowd stores and form long lines to stock up on supplies, cutting in front of each other in the lines to get home quicker for the “Big Storm” . You have to wait a long time just to buy those extra San Miguels. With EARTHQUAKES; the emergency response is more like “Oh sh*t… do we have enough to survive this?” Check the beer stock now! When was the last time you stood in a long line at Hypermart and heard “Hi, I am here buying earthquake preparation supplies? See all my beer stock? Did you hear the big one is happening today at 4, or maybe tomorrow at 3 or maybe it will miss us all together and I will have to eat all this stuff in a drunken stupor. “
    WEATHER CONDITIONS: With TYPHOONS; there is rain before and after the event, which is not good beach weather. With EARTHQUAKES; the weather is normally sunny and stays that way. If you are not killed by the quake, the beaches are usually not crowded allowing for a lot of pleasant days at the beach.
    BEACH TIME: With TYPHOONS; Not good beach time for days before the Typhoon because of doing all the anticipation work. Rain goes on for days before also. Have you ever tried to swim (or wind sail) in the ocean during a Typhoon? With EARTHQUAKES; during the earthquake the extra agitation of the water while swimming removes more of the dirt from your body that you went to the beach to get rid of in the first place. Remember after earthquakes or typhoon you may not have water for weeks.
    EMERGENCY STRUCTUREs: With TYPHOONS; Survivors of the previous earthquake are housed in tents for protection of the elements, which are blown down by the next typhoon. The ripped and torn tents become the next squatter’s village: With EARTHQUAKES; people do not take cover after the quake as there is little rain. Because of fear of falling objects the survivors sleep outside. Allowing those survivors to sleep outside free of the influence of second hand smoke, allows them to live longer healthier lives. There are no un-slightly squatter villages left for months or years. Life is just like the normal appearance of walking down the boulevard with people sleeping on the benches, grass and sidewalks. Government Emergency structures cost are kept to a minimum, allowing the politicians to have extra money for bigger and better vacations. The benefits to the citizens are that while the politicians are occupied by their mistresses (or occupying their mistresses) while on those vacations, they totally forget how they can steal from the populace while they are gone.
    They are many benefits to earthquakes or anything, even Typhoons if you take the right attitude. I just have not found many for Typhoons yet. Anyone want to help me? It takes care of the time while the cable is off.

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Typhoon versus earthquake (time to lighten up)

After the last earthquake, I said I preferred earthquakes over typhoon, but that was not well received. Since I have no cable this morning I took the time to express my feeling here.
    ANTICIPATION: With TYPHOONS; the fear of “will it or wont it” goes on for days as the reports come in and then change. With EARTHQUAKES; little anticipation happens. The first awareness and response usually is: “What the hell was that?”
    Many stress questions: With TYPHOONS: (done in the days before the Typhoon) how much damage will I endure? What preparation do I need to do? With EARTHQUAKE; (done only after earthquake is realized) Hon, is the dog alright? How about the kids? Are you good enough condition to sweep the floor again, some things may have fell?
    NO WASTED TIME: With TYPHOONS; days of reading blogs, talking to neighbors and other preparation occurs. Waiting in line for supplies etc.; With EARTHQUAKES; Preparation usually is limited to conversations starting with “nah… it will never happen to us.”
    UTILITIES: With TYPHOONS; Utilities Company anticipate and turn off the utilities days in advance. I woke up for with no cable TV so I do not know what is happening. This makes my anticipation much more fun, as I “fly blind.” My neighbor texted me to say it may be months until it cable is turned back on. With EARTHQUAKES; utilities are only turned off after a structure has collapsed and then most likely not even then. By utilities not responding to the need for for safe structures, there is more entertainment provided, making up for the cable being turned off. We can all have the added excitement of watching to see if any one does the “electrical dance” as they search the collapsed structures or even walk down the street as wires are laid about.
    NO LONG LINES: With TYPHOONS; Emergency supply buyers crowd stores and form long lines to stock up on supplies, cutting in front of each other in the lines to get home quicker for the “Big Storm” . You have to wait a long time just to buy those extra San Miguels. With EARTHQUAKES; the emergency response is more like “Oh sh*t… do we have enough to survive this?” Check the beer stock now! When was the last time you stood in a long line at Hypermart and heard “Hi, I am here buying earthquake preparation supplies? See all my beer stock? Did you hear the big one is happening today at 4, or maybe tomorrow at 3 or maybe it will miss us all together and I will have to eat all this stuff in a drunken stupor. “
    WEATHER CONDITIONS: With TYPHOONS; there is rain before and after the event, which is not good beach weather. With EARTHQUAKES; the weather is normally sunny and stays that way. If you are not killed by the quake, the beaches are usually not crowded allowing for a lot of pleasant days at the beach.
    BEACH TIME: With TYPHOONS; Not good beach time for days before the Typhoon because of doing all the anticipation work. Rain goes on for days before also. Have you ever tried to swim (or wind sail) in the ocean during a Typhoon? With EARTHQUAKES; during the earthquake the extra agitation of the water while swimming removes more of the dirt from your body that you went to the beach to get rid of in the first place. Remember after earthquakes or typhoon you may not have water for weeks.
    EMERGENCY STRUCTUREs: With TYPHOONS; Survivors of the previous earthquake are housed in tents for protection of the elements, which are blown down by the next typhoon. The ripped and torn tents become the next squatter’s village: With EARTHQUAKES; people do not take cover after the quake as there is little rain. Because of fear of falling objects the survivors sleep outside. Allowing those survivors to sleep outside free of the influence of second hand smoke, allows them to live longer healthier lives. There are no un-slightly squatter villages left for months or years. Life is just like the normal appearance of walking down the boulevard with people sleeping on the benches, grass and sidewalks. Government Emergency structures cost are kept to a minimum, allowing the politicians to have extra money for bigger and better vacations. The benefits to the citizens are that while the politicians are occupied by their mistresses (or occupying their mistresses) while on those vacations, they totally forget how they can steal from the populace while they are gone.
    They are many benefits to earthquakes or anything, even Typhoons if you take the right attitude. I just have not found many for Typhoons yet. Anyone want to help me? It takes care of the time while the cable is off.

6. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    11:20 AM in Daro, Dumaguete and it's not even raining here right now. I'm sure wind and rain will pick up in a few hours, but if this is any indication of what the back-end is going to be like then I'm not even sure we will see significant flooding. All the worst flooding I have seen has been from rain non stop for hours. As I mentioned in my last post, Sendong rained consistently and heavily from one night well into the next morning. Pablo had already been raining heavily this far out from when it was about to hit. Unfortunately, we will probably still lose power for a while though.

7. roadking

roadking DI Member Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    1130 AM here in Negros Occ, Just rain & a stiff breeze so far.
    Our good fortune, somebody's misfortune, Hope the govt gets there finger out this time...

8. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Getting pretty breezy in Valencia, probably we will be without power soon.

Larry

9. alesypalsy

alesypalsy DI Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 5
    Any update from people there would be much appreciated, we have family there we are unable to contact and without any news we are always thinking the worst,

from the news in uk it looks absolutley terrible , nothing ever seen like it in history

10. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    You need to be more specific as to where they live. Right now the whole Negros Oriental power is off. We heard on the radio they turned it off on purpose anticipating downed lines and to prevent people from being electrocuted.
    I am on generator right now. We have no idea when they will turn the electric back on. I imagine they may have to examine the extent of the damage before they turn it back on. We are about 5 km's west of Dumaguete and things are fine here, but we don't go out driving around just to look as that only gets in the way of any crews that may be out clearing trees off the roads if there are any, fixing electric lines, and what-not.
    So if they live near us they are probably o.k..
    Let me know what area they are in and if we hear anything we can let you know.
    I only run the generator about 4 hours at a time to keep the refrigerator/freezer cold, so Internet access is sporadic right now.
    But the very fact that I have a connection ( Globe land line) tells me things near us probably are not too bad.
    I hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1