Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Supporting Your SO

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My biological father died when I was an infant and my step father (dad) stepped up and filled that father role. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a man doing this. I would argue it takes an even bigger man to step up and be a good role model and father figure for a child that isn't his biological child. It is a very admirable trait IMO. I'm glad my dad didn't see me as extra "baggage".

• Like Like x 12
  2. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Been there done that and not just once. Doing it again, last one is almost finished with college. They were presented with an opportunity. Yes it is out of love, and the fact fact that I can afford it easily enough. I didn't want a "fresh start", just someone to share my life with. On with the last chapter of the book of my life, just don't know how long the chapter is, but so far it has been a wonderful read.

Would I do it again? Yes. Do I want to do it again? No, that would mean that I lost someone who is very precious to me.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm not certain it is as common as you perceive it to be.

Maybe we could look at it from a different angle: We shouldn't forget that these men are adults with agency. They have made a decision, one that is in line with cultural expectations in their host country and is not uncommon among locals, to support their spouse and extended family. I'm almost certain that the reasons behind such a decision vary greatly between individuals.

Some likely do so because they have had past trauma in their life and have grown into a less than perfect adult (as we all are) with huge insecurities about desertion and trust and do it out of fear of losing their spouse.

Some likely do it because they truly love their spouse and want them and their family to prosper and be comfortable.

There could also be some with malicious intent that are actually the predators in this situation (not the spouse's family).

There are many who mutually benefit from such an arrangement. Say a foreigner is ill and needs to be taken care of. The family takes care of the foreigner while the foreigner takes care of the family. Quid pro quo.

There are a thousand other reasons why a man may choose to support their spouse's extended family. Is it admirable? Well IMO, that really depends on the intent and that is something that can only be known by looking at each case individually. Regardless, if nobody is being harmed I see no issue with it and I wouldn't look down on anyone just for having such an arrangement.

Additionally, from what I have personally seen there are very few foreigners that are being taken advantage of by the locals. Most of the time both parties are gaining from the relationship in some way (which is completely normal for relationships) or, which I see quite often, it is the opposite way around: Mentally unstable men controlling local women to an abusive level.

These type of men eventually get burned at their own game, but many times this is just a local doing what needs to be done to escape a relationship that they are, very frequently, financially held hostage to. I've heard countless sob stories from both the foreigner and Filipino viewpoint. Both parties almost always share some blame in the breakup but I tend to side with the Filipina who comes from a life of poverty, poor education and lack of opportunity. The foreigner knows better, knows how to reach out and knows how to get help for their mental issues. Their mental illness is in no way a defense for their cruelty.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    “You live by yourself for a stretch of time and you get to staring at different objects. Sometimes you talk to yourself. You take meals in crowded joints. You develop an intimate relationship with your used Subaru. You slowly but surely become a has-been.”
    ― Haruki Murakami, Dance Dance Dance

• Like Like x 5
  5. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    True, but only if you allow it to go that far. Everyone has a choice in the end. No is a choice.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+

That is the advice that I like to give. Live close enough that the wife or girlfriend can get home in the event of an emergency, but far enough away so that the relatives can't come over at will. That usually solves the problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    It is very admirable. But this is the Philippines. Here, we don’t talk about adopting one kid when you marry a Filipina. Here, it is three kids PLUS her extended family, not even her immediate. And I know I am being judgey, but what you are citing as an example is rarely what happens here. I don’t call it admirable anymore when I see an old guy having to house all his young wife’s relatives in their house. He has to pay not just for his adopted kids, but her niece’s and nephew’s education as well. And fix her aunt’s roof and so on and so forth. I no longer find that admirable. He is being taken extreme advantage of, and I find it really uncomfortable to see. I just don’t understand why men put up with that, and yes, yes, yes, I know it’s none of my business, after all, it’s his money, he can do what he wants with it, but on a government pension, why even put up with it that was just the point I was trying to make. Not like Phils is on a chick drought.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1