Dumaguete Info Search

Suspected Water Contamination in Sibulan

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dave_Hounddriver, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    uHandy Mobilephone Microscope (Duet)

So then let them see it. I have one of those and it had my x-gf in the CR scrubbing her fingernails as if she had just picked up a turd barehanded.

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Good idea, sure it will be a big surprise to my gf look in the microscope. Side effects guess she will sit in the shower most of the day, already do it for hours lol. I can imagine that many kinds of foods, will be deleted from the shopping list, I guess the 5 k the Mobile phone Microscope cost can be a good investment

3. dr ski

dr ski DI Member

Derelict
    Ratings:
    +784 / 125
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's pretty cool. Can you attach some photos? I might have to buy that to keep me out of trouble on cloudy days.

4. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    When local people do not care about flies and ants crawling all over the food they buy at the market, why would they care if they could see bacteria?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888
    What exactly did you/your gf see with this microscope? I note it has magnification up to X200 but to see bacteria they need to be stained with professional dyes in a complex procedure. The only pathogens I can think of which could be seen are certain fungi and then most can be seen with the naked eye anyway. I am very interested in microscopy so would be interested to know how useful this type of microscope is.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The big one was dirt/grit on her the fingernails and between the ridges on her fingerprints. I really drove home the point that "just because you can't see dirt/fecal matter doesn't mean it isn't there". (Make sure you pull out the microscope out after they get done using the CR for full effect. Also fun to give them a wet-willy and zoom in on your finger afterwards. The thing really allows you to up the gross factor with the teasing. lol I guess it is obvious why she is my x-gf. :hilarious:)

Shirt

Fingertip

Some blood under the skin

A small cut on the skin

Down Feather

Note: I am not using the x200 lense as it was designed to be used (except for the down feather image). It was not easy getting a decent image without the back-light and slides it comes with.

They may care if they see how nasty flies and ants were up-close.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888
    Does anyone know of a local store that sells microscopes and associated kit? I suspect not and that I would have to look in Manila or Cebu or online.

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I bought it for electronic circuitry purposes. I rarely use the higher magnification lens myself.

As you stated; you won't be able to see most bacteria/single cell organisms but you will be able to see organisms hanging around in the water clearly....and if you happen to see something like that coming out of the tap it is likely there are nastier things in there.

mobile microscope - Buy mobile microscope at Best Price in Philippines | www.lazada.com.ph

There is a x1000 lens there for less than $50.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888
    I referred before to the problems of using a CR. I am not sure how aware everyone is of this (as I am not trying to preach, just to inform) but for those who are interested, consider this: A man does a poo and gets faeces on his hands. He has good hygiene standards and so uses the faucet (now that handle is contaminated as he has to turn it on before washing his hands) - then he turns it off and so contaminates his hands again! He opens the door and contaminates that handle (which is probably already contaminated from other users); he buys an ice cream in a cone for his kids and so passes the germs to them and then pays using now contaminated coins and notes; he meets some friends and shakes hands and so contaminates them (who then meet other friends etc.).

And so the story goes on. This is as much a problem for CRs in the home as well as in public places. My solution is to wash the faucet handle with soap as I am washing my hands, not to dry using a cloth towel and use my elbow to open a door if possible. But, of course, I am handing coins containing millions of pathogens from other people and could be shaking hands with contaminated friends (except I don't have any!* :smile: ). A study on a free bowl of nuts in a bar showed over 30 different people's urine (I don't know if they tested for E. coli but that was not reported).

* Except 'The Dude' perhaps :smile::smile: :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You are really spot on here, just tell us we can't avoid the bacteria, different types, the one from cr I fear most, staff in restaurants who don't wash their hands after visit cr can make you seriously sick and for sure have done that many times. I'm not happy if I need use cr away from home. In Dumaguete I go McDonalds or Robinson, they clean regulary, don't sit on the seat, good exercise lol, flush with my foot, I know sorry for the next one, use foot or elbow to open the door, still, it doesn't help anything, when I go to a food place and staff don't wash their hands. Most of us have an okay immune system to the surroundings we live in and only when we get bacterias in a big amount it affects us, I really don't like to think about it but we can't deny reality. I'm sure staff here in Philippines don't have hygiene course before they work with food, just reality in the 3.word

• Agree Agree x 3