Dumaguete Info Search

Trades & Labor Best Posts in Thread: synthetic nipa

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I'm interested to know what degree of pitch you have on these Nippa roofs?
    I met a guy German here in Valencia who has built a house with a very large roof I think it is something like 600m2 all done in Nippa, I think he said the material he used is Sac Sac, well he went on to say that traditionally most Roofs in Asia were all the same Pitch at 60 degrees and at this steep angle grass roofs last 4 times longer than the now adopted 30 degree pitch and the reason for that is they don't hold water quite the same and less prone to rotting. I did get a chance to go visit this house and sure enough it was stunning and very well thought out, the main structure was all done in Bamboo and it was a work of Art.

IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1199 (1).JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62

Hello. I have a house a hundred kilometres north of Dumaguete and it’s several clusters of houses (resort style) and the roof are all nipa. While it looked awesome, it didn’t really last long. I found I had to keep changing it every five years because when it thins out, it becomes unsightly. Birds were nesting in some areas, while one side would look patchy. Because of the nipa, I also developed a snake problem. They are apparently attracted to nipa, and I wish I knew this before I decided on it. Anyway, I thought changing it every five years would be so costly so I looked into Palmex. They gave me a quote with the shipping and installation and the total amount became quite substantial. It was almost 6x the cost of what I paid for my current roof. If I remember correctly, they also won’t issue a lifetime guarantee on their product. They will just say it will last twenty years if maintained properly. Maintaining them would entail additional costs. I had to give them a pass.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Not had experience but have read about it and if it comes from the Palmex Company in Quezon, they have a 20 year warranty on the product. Clearly if it's a plastic it will endure as long as there is a component added to slow the drying out factor from the extreme Sun and heat.
    • High density polyethylene (HDPE)
    • Thermo-formed
    • UV-protection treated structure
    • Highly resistant
    • 100% recyclable
    • Color: tobacco
    • Dimensions: 39’’ x 24’’ one leaf
    • Thickness: 0.029’’
    • Weight: 1 lb per leaf including the rail
    Patented product has sold to 63 Countries, and Company claims ZERO MATENENCE. Can also order fire retardant or not.
    https://palmexphilippines.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4vfFmq6_8QIVnr2WCh02gwD1EAAYASAAEgIi8PD_BwE

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021