Dumaguete Info Search

Recreation & Hobbies Best Posts in Thread: Taekwondofor Kids

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    You can ask around the market in Bacong for Andy the martial arts guy. Everyone in Bacong knows him. I think he runs a dojo ( sp) in South Poblacion. I know he does karate and arnis.
    If he can't help you he can point you in the right direction.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I know of a class that exists (not an individual tutor) but am reluctant to recommend because of my concern with this sport and the effect it has on JOINTS (no, not those ones!) - especially the preparation of the joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments for the unusual range of movements which take place.

I have seen kids at classes in great pain because their legs (for example) are being pushed apart far beyond the normal range of movement. In my view, the joints should be stretched to the point at which they have reached the limit of comfort and then stretched a small amount further. This should be repeated in subsequent classes, the student being able to stretch further and further each time. But the class should start with LUBRICATION of the joints followed by a WARM-UP (to get blood flowing through muscles) before any stretching takes place. This does not happen in my observations.

I have observed new students (1) Asked nothing about their current health and physical exercise routines (which for many here is zilch) (2) Immediately pushed to OVER-stretch their joints. (3) Put into competitions before they are prepared (4) Matched in competitions with larger opponents of a higher belt grade.

I attended (NOT competed in!) a competition with 3 children, ages 5, 12 and 15 - all 3 were mismatched with their opponents and the result was one damaged knee (requiring a doctor's visit and time off school), one sprained ankle (requiring a doctor's visit and a week off school) and one very demoralised student who never went back to that class.

Joint damage may be obvious at the time and/or may cause future problems, possibly of life-long duration. Many instructors know the moves but I am not sure they know enough about the human body.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1