Dumaguete Info Search

Tagalog child schooling in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by OzeMike, Apr 20, 2019.

1. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My partner g/f came from Marinduque to work here in Valencia. We plan to bring her son here early next year when he is 6 to start grade one school. My gf's concern is he will find it hard as the lessons will be taught in Bisaya. Plus the other school starters won't talk tagalog of course.

Anyone living here experienced this with a wife from a tagalog speaking region moving to live here with a young child and managed it ok?

I know young kids adapt quickly to different dialects but Bisaya is a completely different language. Must be really tough on the kid.

The other option is for us to move to a tagalog speaking area but I like living here.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Mike with a child of 6 I am sure there will be No problem. many have done it and many kids have prospered, Worry not, kids are sponges and within a few weeks you will all be wondering WTF.BTW most lessons are in English so he is going to have a ball believe me. and as for his peers, he will be the one that will stands out and prospers better, again believe me :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    He will ace his Tagalog class. :smile: My wife speaks both and from the Dumaguete area. I thought it was required to be taught because it's the national language.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My understanding is they teach 6yo's in the local language not English Pete....most 6yo's can't speak English here unless they were born to a English speaking parent or had gone to lessons.

So the tagalog child at 6 yo will not understand the teacher taking in bisaya surely. Any members with 6 yo's here know what the norm in first grade here is...teaching language at first grade?

5. tanjay

tanjay DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +107 / 30
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I told my wife who is a retired teacher about your concern. She suggests bringing the child here and having tutoring for a couple of months before starting school. Just to learn the basics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    My son’s first grade was taught in English with both Visaya and Tagalog required classes. Tagalog was harder for him to learn because none of the extended family speaks it, but he did better as the year went on. I suggest hiring a tutor.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    Classes for private and even public schools are taught in English. They are required to do so. It might not be very good English, but it’s their version of English, it really depends on the kind of school and the quality of their education. First grade also requires a separate class for Filipino and another subject called “Mother tongue” which is Bisaya. I understand this is mandatory for all kids. Which means my son, who’s from an English speaking background is required to sit in classes that are being taught in Tagalog and Bisaya and he has to pass them. I do not envy him.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I'll just pile-on here with what the others have said.

Send your child to a private school. All the classes will be taught in English. At Foundation, there were signs which encouraged the kids to only speak English. I have walked past groups of kids here who spoke like they could have been teens from my region in the U.S. with the right regional slang.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I stand corrected Peter.. . you are right..they teach the lessons in English (or there version of it :confused:) by first grade apparently.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Mike you will be well advised to enroll the lad at West City Elementary they have vast experience of your type of Situation and can cater well for it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1