Dumaguete Info Search

Health & Wellness Tail of two hospitals

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by grandpainak, Aug 15, 2020.

1. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    This is my experience of my latest hospitalization.
    Spent six hours in SUMC ER then moved to a "Privet Room". I could not believe the condition of this room. Reminded my of a 1966 Vietnamese hospital or a 1880 USA hospital. Paint pealing, door looked like it had been kicked in a couple of times. The CR VENTED into the room, no :poop: paper or even a roller to hang it on, no toilet seat and the IV bag hooks are a length of string hanging from the ceiling with a "S" shaped wire hook at the bottom end and it was not long enough to reach the sink with out taking the IV bag in hand. NO emergency call button to get help if needed. The food was COLD like it was just removed from the refrigerator. The TV had the volume restricted so low I could not understand it. After three hours of staring at the walls, I checked myself out and the wife took me to ACE Doctor's. This was not the first time at SUMC and not the first time I had a bad experience with them either. ACE Doctor's will be my choice for a hospital from here on in. That learning experience at SUMC cost me more than 60,000.oo pesos for nine hours of training on which hospital NOT to go to. "Lesson learned." Almost forgot; the window was open and the screen was ripped open to the out side. One foot the other side of the glass was a cement wall. A different wall to stare at.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  2. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

i have never been in SUMC but all the stories were negative and one was horrific!!. i have used Ace four times as an outpatient and very pleased with that. my doctor is at the catholic hospital downtown and have always had good experience there including my doc, radiology and their ER. in my experience in the states i was always shy about using a teaching hospital.

3. OP
    OP
    grandpainak

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    I got the feeling at SUMC's privet room that all that was missing was the rats and cockroaches. Yes it was clean and yes it was that bad. I also took photo before I checked out.

4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Hope you are feeling better now.

My asawa had a similar private room experience at SUMC. Another time had a private room at Holy Child and expected it to be even worse - but, to our surprise, it was quite pleasant.

• Like Like x 3
  5. OP
    OP
    grandpainak

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Yes I am on the mend, Thanks.
    My experience at Holy Child has only been with the Eye Clinic and the dentist. All being good experiences.

I can not say enough about how good ACE is. It is of course a new hospital and it is very well staffed. I spent 5 days there and it cost about half of the cost of St. Luke's in Manila for the same amount of time.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Mine was a different experience at SUMC. I was in a private room and it was new and clean, 32 inch TV, reclining bed, and yes there was toilet paper and a seat :smile: that was when I had Dengue in March, I was on a IV for 2 days.
    The bill was 20,000P but phil-health paid 50%.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Caranoche Beauty

Caranoche Beauty DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +50 / 28
    Some gotta win; some gotta lose..

I went to ACE for a UA. After waiting for the results all day I was told I had to pay for it before I could get the results. I paid for it and was told that it had never been processed and I would have to submit another sample. Went back to Bayawan, paid P40 and had the results in 30 minutes. Never got a refund of my P200. Next trip to town thought iI would make an appointment to see a Doctor. No way to do this than showing up at the door. No phone... no email.

8. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

all four of my trips to ACE required first registration, then a trip to the lab to get their authorization for the test, then to the office to pay, then take the paid receipt to the lab for drawing the blood. they would not do any work for me until i presented a paid receipt. cannot imagine that they would have done your test without payment first. i have never had any lab work anywhere including holy child, moms lab down town or ace that did not require payment first. and urine sample would have been collected at the hospital after you pay i think, which is what i observed one time with another patient there. the only exception to this might be if you presented a valid insurance card, depending on their hospital policy re such thigs. i was a hospital administrator in the states for thirty years. cash customers paid up front, or paid a deposit. exception only for emergencies. every hospital i ever had.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Is there an explanation for why one person paid 60K for 9 hours and another paid 20K for 2 days?

10. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I would guess that the higher cost was due to ER which is more expensive than just a room per day... also my son was born at SUMC 3 yrs ago and was quite pleased with the experience, new room and attentive staff but your experience may vary :smile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1