Dumaguete Info Search

Taking a RISK

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Notmyrealname, May 9, 2020.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I would say I am a very cautious person generally and with my background especially so with a viral pandemic.

BUT sometimes risks have to be taken. Many liken the pandemic to a 'war' and it is in a sense - the enemy is trying to overcome human defences to gain a benefit.

Without any disrespect intended to the brave veterans on this Forum and without any personal military experience (but I have watched movies and read books!) the need to take risks in battle are well known - if the risk has a withdrawal strategy attached then it can be worth that risk.

So, with seemingly zero cases in Negros Oriental (IF the truth is being told) I feel the risk of abandoning quarantine is worth taking - to protect people's livelihoods and (sometimes related) their physical and mental health, plus government finances (I haven't mentioned alcohol as everyone else is doing fine on that topic! :smile: ).

BUT this needs to be secured with an immediate return to quarantine if cases start to arise (just a justifiable form of retreat). In the meantime the authorities can actually get a proper pass system set up so it can be introduced at once (no floundering for days or weeks) and where people know what they can and cannot do and receive the permission (physical pass) to do so - not a system where people are confused by so many changes and where some/many barangays have done nothing to get passes to residents. Why not have one type of pass only (the system based on Bacong to Basay and Sibulan to Canlaon seems the most sensible produced so far) and just change the conditions attached to that pass if necessary (without changing the physical document). Most people seem to use Facebook so current rules pertaining to that pass could be issued very quickly. They just need to avoid doing that on a daily or hourly basis! A few mild cases could involve conditions pertaining to a GCQ and those rules need to be changed only if an ECQ becomes necessary due to an increase in numbers and/or severity of cases.

I would strongly suggest continuing and enforcing social distancing and face masks but when eating in restaurants the masks can be removed by diners (NOT staff) as long as social distancing is maintained (the usual exemption for families living together could be retained).

The Province has not been seriously affected and the situation now appears to be even better than a few weeks ago - so IMO this is the time to take a risk.

The only thing that bother me is if they open up the borders without quarantining people entering (especially OFWs - some of whom will have come from hot-spots) - then all bets are off. And the quarantine needs to be more than self-quarantining as people cannot be trusted.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    That all seems toooo simple...

• Like Like x 1
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    My plan to open up Negros Oriental would be: (2 week plan)
    New normal face masks, social distance, temperature taken upon entering establishments.
    Only cluster 1 allowed for first 2 weeks except medical helpers and first responders.
    Hold passenger flights and ferries for 2 weeks.
    Seniors ( like me) need a single trip pass from barangay to go town, only 1 a week can be issued.
    Gyms, spas stay closed for 2 more weeks, all other businesses and churches can open, maintain limited crowd for social fistance.
    No liquor ban.
    Observe for new Co-v cases.
    After 2 weeks... not my responsibility.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  4. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    If we do manage to get out of this alive, I think its fair to say to any half decent educated person, that our local government didnt make one sensible decision that saved lives except for locking down the island, we are super lucky it hasnt taken hold here YET, again thats no kudos to them, for if it does take hold here, this will be another uninhabited Island soon enough