Dumaguete Info Search

Talking about Driving

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Jack Peterson, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Lorraine

Lorraine DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +69 / 21
    Blood Type:
    B-
    I come from one of those countries, New Zealand. It's not difficult to drive on the "wrong" side of the road as in the USA and here because the steering wheel is also on the wrong side of the car. The tricky part is crossing the road when you are accustomed to traffic coming from a different direction. You say "still driving on the left" as though you expect these countries to convert to driving on the right. It's a bit like the rest of the World waiting for the USA to go metric really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Well yes because so many changed as you will see from the Article, Many in the 20's some in the 30's the Last was Sweden in the 60's so yes, I would say still because I am of the Opinion that all did (Drive on the Left) until they Changed The Article is a Good one. If you have not read it yet Please do.:bookworm:

4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    In Australia I was used to driving LHD Cars with some of the places I worked. BUT I drove them on the left side of the road, NOT in the right lane, so coming here and trying to imagine driving whilst sitting in Tricycles, I feel at home knowing that the driver sits in the left side, and feel I will have no problem when it comes time to drive that I will easily adjust to driving in the right lane, but it is when coming to intersections, I seem to always imagine pulling out, then veering into the wrong (left) lane when entering a side road as I would do in Oz driving a RHD Car... Still need to get the hang of that one! :rolleyes:

And I am sure many would not know that people use to drive in the left lane here in the Philippines;

How the Philippines became a left-hand-drive country

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    That is what I said in a Post before many countries started off that way then changed

6. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It is good, along with many of the comments, the one made (below) regarding a firm right hand holding the wheel when most are right handed and left-foot - left-clutch operation being easier to wrap your head around has been my thoughts also; (But if you are born into learning to drive on the right then maybe your brain adjusts and thinks just as those of us who are use to driving from the right side)

Si
    Australia

Some of your American contributors have raised the implied argument that operating a manual gear stick with the left hand (ie as you would in right hand drive cars) would be too hard for a right handed driver and, therefore, as most people are right handed, left hand drive makes sense. Three points in response.
    Firstly, shifting a gearstick is not like writing- it is a very simple action, that can be easily performed by your non-dominant hand. Ask any left-handed drivers you know in your country about how difficult they find it. None, I bet. Most ozzies are right handed, and no-one has any issues with manuals. Secondly, regarding which control configuration is most suited for right-dominant drivers (and therefore most people), I would say that while driving, surely controlling the steering wheel is more important than correct gear selection. In a RHD car, the right hand is steering, and the left shifting-ergonomically better if you’re right handed, I would have thought.
    Finally, regardless of your side dominance, when you are changing gears, surely it is easier to co-ordinate your left foot (on the clutch pedal) with your left hand, rather than your right (the opposite side of your body)?

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Reading 'Roman's' comment at the top, he talks about Wagoners and Carriage Drivers and 'Riding Shotgun' as to why some chose which side to drive on, that confused me as it seems in LHD countried the guy holding the Shotgun sat on the right, and he asked a very good question regards why Japan drive in the left lane when their real first contact with the West was via America, I have often pondered that one myself... :o o:

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    In all my years I have never seen any different Clutch, Brake, Gas pedal in any different array whatever side of the car you drive in. Neither have I ever seen a left hand Throttle on a motor bike (Are there any)

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If I recall correctly early Model T Fords had a strange pedal arrangement (Left = Clutch - Middle = Reverse & Right = Brake & I think throttle on the Steering Wheel) and I think early Indian Motorcycles for one including some Harley's had the throttle on the left? Some early Bikes had the throttle on the tank also from memory of looking at older Bikes back in Oz...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  10. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    WOW. You are OLD if you recall that. :poop: But seriously, that's really reaching if you have to go back to the model T to prove a point. :facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 2