Dumaguete Info Search

Talking about Driving

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Jack Peterson, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The first time I drove on the left side of the road was when I was stationed in Japan. I actually agree that shifting with your left hand is more comfortable once you get used to it. I was always TDY and going back and forth on what side to drive on and found it pretty simple to keep straight; the thing that jammed me up the most was the blinker and windshield wipers.

Shawn

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think all Aussie Cars have the Blinker arm on the right side of the column, but I owned a few British Cars and Euro's that threw me with the Indicators on the left and the Wipers/ Headlights on the right, if only I had a dollar for each time I hit the Wipers instead of the Indicators! :o o:

*Edit:
    Also another thing I noticed with several British Cars was their habit of placing the Steering Wheel further to the left (on a RHD) instead of so when you were seated it was directly in front of you, THAT took some getting use to also!

3. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    After reading the article and many of the comments, I fully expect to do down in flames but here goes. I too was under the impression that the UK drove on the left side because of the sword needing to be drawn from the left and across with the right hand and passing to the left was precautionary. I think Henry Ford being made responsible for right side driving in the US is a little late. I was taught that the right side driving in the US was credited to the fact that the lead oxen for the freight wagons, and the Conestoga wagons, was always the front left oxen and the oxen driver often walked at the front left alongside or just in front of the lead oxen. Whether the oxen driver was walking along or not the lead oxen always passed oncoming traffic to the right. The greatest mystery to me is why it is taking so long for other countries to decide to switch to American style measurements. They were, after all, based on British measurements in the beginning and then the British abandoned us like a red headed step child. No Offense intended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Three countries approached the Japanese government to help them build a railway system. These three countries were America, France, and Britain. In the end, Britain won out. In 1872 the first Japanese railway was up and running thanks to the British. A massive network of railways spread out from there, all of which were left-side running. And as we all know, Japan loves their trains. If American or French railways had been built instead, Japan would probably be driving on the right side of the road today.
    Why Does Japan Drive on the Left Side of the Road?

Even in escalators, people keep to the left, the ones who want to climb use the right side half. When you meet someone on a narrow trail, you lean to the left.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. artpepper88

artpepper88 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    What I like about this driving left/right situation is that it extends to which side of the footpath (pavement, Jack) you walk on, and on which side you stand on the escalator...

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. artpepper88

artpepper88 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    A left-side railway? Hmmm

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I noticed back in Ipswich QLD (Oz) when catching the Train, when heading East (on the Left Track) any West bound trains were on the 'Right Track'... Maybe it is that way also in Japan?

8. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The subway I take heads South and it's on the left track, the opposite track heads North but continues to head west for its final destination so maybe it's the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yet in Hong Kong, while you take the left escalator, the left half is the walking (passing) half and the right half is the standing half.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Oh it's like Osaka! Forgot to mention, my bad. But then, the city has one more surprise, people don't wait for the green light to cross the street, if the road is clear they go unlike people in Tokyo and neighboring areas.