Dumaguete Info Search

Talking about Driving

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Jack Peterson, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    What do they call the form of local driving which is both left and right?

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Anybody else still driving one of the converted japan-import cars here? Driver sits left but the whole configuration is still as if the driver would sit right (shape and position of automatic lever and handbrake, wiper / signal light switches reversed, passenger seat has all the adjustments bit drivers seat not etc).

Everytime I'm back in Germany it takes days until I stop turning on the wipers at every corner.

Hardest thing for me driving in New Zealand was going back to the correct lane after one of those narrow one-lane bridges.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Normal!

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Used to have a Honda Civic that had that "problem". I never got used to it.

5. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I assumed some of the guys on this forum may have owned one as their first Car... :roflmao: lol

BTW: I worked restoring, hotrodding and customising OLD Cars as a living, so for me many strange things that were fitted to many older makes and model Cars are not that unusual when comparing to modern machinery... :wink: (It is the NEW fan-dangled stuff that confuses me nowadays!)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    One place I worked at converting LHD American Cars to RHD Australian configuration, we had to transfer EVERYTHING so that it worked as per original including the electric seat controls etc... Really, the hardest part was getting the Steering Column through the Air-con Box, THAT WAS A BIATCH! The Under-dash Hand Brake also presented some challenges. Many things like Seat Belts, Sun Visors, Headlights, Windscreens etc needed to be changed to conform to the Australian Design Rules, but once done, it was exactly the same as driving any other Australian Car. NOW you CAN simply change the required items to conform to the ADR's and continue to drive it in LHD form...

I WISH the Philippines would allow RHD here as I would love to bring an Aussie Performance Car here (would be cheaper to imports parts for repairs etc than importing from the States) I did look into bringing an older American LHD Car (Hotrod from the 30's/40's) here but it seems to be 99.9% impossible to be able to bring anything older than 5 years old into the country to drive here... :sorry:

7. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Leaving aside Vintage and or Antiques stuff has any seen or driven Vehicles with operating equipment other than as I asked & as I described? I have been Driving for over 52 years and I have never seen it any other way, OH! I know they started with strange things but progress seems to have got to the Perfection point (For want of a better word) nothing will ever be Perfect but it is as laid out by just about every Manufacturer now and this was my Question not what was but is and has been all the the years I have been Driving

8. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Only ever seen ONE setup in my life and that was for a guy who was disabled and only had his left leg, so the accelerator pedal was fitted to the left side instead of the right. Apart from that ALL modern day vehicles use the normal configuration to cater for I assume; normal people...

Left foot accelerator twin flip design for disabled drivers

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    @Wrye Double Post please delete mate...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Exactly Brian, I was ncver meaning adapted vehicles I meant run of the Mill ones

• Like Like x 2