Dumaguete Info Search

terror threat for Dumaguete City

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by redneck, Aug 9, 2013.

1. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    I have been living in the PI back in the mid 90', the place I was had sandbags around the Municipal building and a large caliber machine gun behind it, they had some attacks from NPA groups but nobody worried much because we were used to it, look at the situation in Syria or other places like it, guns don't solve the problem, obviously...

2. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    As far as I know, the truth is, that there has been 1 (one) case of kidnapping of tourists from a beach resort in this country ever. It happened in Palawan 13 years ago. On that background I think being kidnapped from a beach resort is pretty low down the list of things, visitors to this area need to worry about or should be warned about.

Regular crime (robbery) and traffic accidents are far more real risks for visitors here than kidnappings. And also its something, the visitor can actually do something to prevent himself. Like not renting a motorcycle and riding it without helmet. And not walking around in the park at night. These are far more usefull advise than alerting against the risk of being kidnapped for ransom.

Agree but why make it look worse, than it is? That does not serve any purpose either.

3. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    Vehicles entering Robs were being checked last week-but only after aprx 9am. We parked right up front before 9am without any inspection

Going there at 2pm no one was checking any vehicles!

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Actually they do, it depends on what you consider a problem. If living under a dictator who has an armed military under his control is not a "problem" for you then I guess guns wouldn't help. Asking a dictator to "pretty please with sugar on top give up all you money and power" hasn't worked that well throughout history.

And what exactly do you think the NPA would do if the Philippines military threw down all their guns? If you are completely unarmed and unable to defend yourself against a force that is armed you stand basically no chance. You should always meet an invading force with greater force. Sic vis pacem para bellum. Sometimes guns DO solve problems, obviously.

5. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    I am wondering where your greater force would come from, the way we are outnumbered in the present situation, but anyway I am not going into an argument... peace

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Who is outnumbered by who? What are we talking about? I was referring to the NPA or the Muslim extremists, and they do not out number any military of any region.

7. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    For one instance, the brown outnumber the whites by far, then the Chinese, they outnumber everybody...

8. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Even in the Philippines your odds of being injured by, or even witnessing a terrorist event is slim to none.

9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Well the seminar was as expected a waste of time! 3 hours of crap, they showed everyone a stick of dynamite,pe4, blasting caps and fuse wire. It was really common sense! Who is going to walk into a resort with a few sticks of pe 4 and a length of fuse? They did also mention look out for abandoned bags and back packs but that was about it!

10. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    LOL....PE4, is that the Philippino equivalent of C4?

Kinda like "pying fan"?