Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Thank God we haven't any human garbage like this here...

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The constitution is nothing but toilet paper to conservatives until someone is trying implement reasonable gun legislation or saying happy holiday to them...then they start screaming about their rights and the founding fathers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +954 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s like “if you have nothing illegal on you and you people come from the wrong part of town, why would you be so worried about me violating your 4th Amendment rights???”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Never addressed the futility of your original post. But once in a while the police get lucky and those people would say that they are very grateful. Never heard of anyone say, "Thank heaven for the camera."

So, also when the police remove the drunk driver from the road that is reactionary? Maybe saved quite a few lives. Stop and frisk wasn't reactionary, and it saved many lives. Intercepting drug shipments save many lives. Intercepting human traffickers probably is very worthy. There are many crimes and criminals being taken down daily, and not cameras, it is the people doing it.

Once again, nothing but snark and that includes your second comment. I thought you had matured and looked at things rationally. My mistake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +954 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    On the other hand, with Brunei having the world’s lowest debt (and the US the highest, of course), I will prefer that my children continue to be able to live in the US and not encourage them to avoid to paying the previous generation’s debt by moving to Brunei. It all depends in perspective of course, but the standard of living of the higher debt countries always seems to be higher than that of the lowest debt countries. Don’t think that by having zero debt and paying cash in hand, the people of the US would be better off; requiring everybody to buy their houses and cars with cash, not funded by banks holding only 10% of their loan values in reserve as per today, would result in people owning crappy houses and having to get around riding tricycles like in some unnamed places. I hear what you say but it is more complicated than that; people have been complaining about national and global debt since I was younger and saddled with the previous generations World War II debt, as I also paid for their social security payments and Medicare by paycheck deductions when I was younger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Why would we respect anyone that doesn't respect us. Respect is earned, not given...and boomers have done very little to earn our respect. For over a decade now boomers have been writing articles about how my generation is nothing but pieces of sh*t...even though we are better educated, more intelligent, less violent, commit less crime, beat our significant others far less than they did, respect the rights of people with different lifestyles and colored skin than those before us and killed far fewer people in war. We are objectively superior in almost every measurable way to the generations that came before us, just as the generations after us will be superior to us. The world will be a better place once the boomers die off and are pushed out of politics and no longer have a say in how society is ran. :troll:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +954 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    If a would-be home invader sees a home with several cameras monitoring it, you cannot know whether or not the obvious presence of cameras deterred him just as you cannot ever know the deterrent effect of visible cameras in public places. But it is reasonable to invest in cameras for such deterrence fir the home. Polaris in Dumaguete has been selling “Homeguard” CCTV for a while now; I highly recommend it. A good system with HD, night vision and 24 hour recording. There is also a smartphone app with cloud access letting you monitor from any internet connection in the the world. In our case, we bought the complete system with cameras inside and outside the house; the salesman has contacts with people here who will install the whole thing, wired, for a very reasonable price. The wired version is best IMHO. In my past experience, wireless versions are much too unreliable. So, when the dog wakes you up at night at barking at something at an unusual hour, you can easily check your property on the smartphone; usually it is barking at another dog but at least you can rest easy lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    I'm British and if I think of a dozen or so British people I'm close to (brother, best friends, cousins, ex gfs), we all have a similar profile: in our 40s, in good health, university educated, hard working with good careers, reasonably well-off, never claimed any benefits, law abiding, childless, respectful.

If we were in the UK we would be paying a lot of taxes, spending well to put money back into the economy, not claiming benefits, hardly ever using free resources like health care and education for kids. Basically, the kind of people that are useful to society and the economy.

BUT, what we also all have in common is that all bar one of us left UK the years ago with no intention of returning. Although there are a number of reasons for this, the primary reason for us all deciding to leave was the regression in society and moral values there, increased crime and aggravation etc. It's really quite sad and rather depressing this is happening. I'm not sure if it's happening to the same extent in other "developed" countries, but I suspect it probably is.......

• Like Like x 2
  8. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Hi John! I actually lived in Wallasey during most of my time in Merpol. When I joined in '78 Wallasey used to put out a shift averaging 15 -18 officers on nights, with three single manned beat cars and two double manned incident cars. The rest were foot officers. Birkenhead night shifts were a little larger. Then you had at least four officers and cars covering Moreton, Hoylake and Bebington respectively etc. Currently there are often only 2 or possibly three vehicles covering all that area and it is not unheard of for a vehicle in Wallasey to be dispatched single manned to the far reaches of Heswall. That is what the cuts have translated into. No wonder things are the way they are now. My sympathies lie with the thin blue line that simply cannot cope with the current workload. A sad situation and the public are the ones that suffer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I'm not on a prescription, thanks. I'm talking generally. In Manila and maybe other big cities, but in the UK the problem exists everywhere. Do you see that in Dumaguete?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    When I was living in Bacolod, there was a report of a person on a ledge, groping through an open window trying to steal something. The owner was sitting there watching, got up and went and slammed the window on the person's arm and then called the police.

A British friend of mine said if the owner did that in the UK they would be charged. I was amazed. But those kind of laws against the citizens protecting their property might have something to do with the boldness now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1