Dumaguete Info Search

Thank God we haven't any human garbage like this here...

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by barryrio, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    This would be a good time for you to explain why the younger generation have less respect for other people and their property.

Youngsters today don't appreciate much that the "older generation" have achieved. They seem to be so self absorbed and unaware they are standing on the building blocks that previous generations built.

Some days I'd like to smack them on the knuckles with my sliderule. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    That was indeed a big decision with a 10 year old son, but, for what it's worth, I think you made the right decision.

I teach 11-14 year olds of many different nationalities at an international school here. Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say they're angels, they're usually a joy to teach. What impresses me most, however, is how they behave with each other. There's no bullying, no fighting, no name calling, no teasing (apart from a bit banter), no racism, and whenever a new student joins the class they do their utmost to make them feel welcome and comfortable.

Now I'm not sure whether these kids are indicative to how kids behave here, but, if they are, I would say Dumaguete is a good place to bring up a kid/ teenager.

Also, I haven't noticed youths hanging around on street corners here and/ or making a nuisance of themselves, which is extremely refreshing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    “Old people” (used above) are probably the majority of DI members. The good news we are guaranteed to reach our senior citizen status while younger folks can only hope. We are used to condescending remarks and deserve some but don’t take them personal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    As a retired BSEE who was part of the original PC development in Boca Raton, I am not impressed at all by the use of “high technology” by many Western millennials today. Chinese, Japanese and other Asian young people seem to have a good grasp on the new technologies they use, but for Western kids it seems to be all plug and play, using technology invented by previous generations with little or no idea as to how it works. Tapping icons on android phones and iPhones lol. America has the tech lead right now but starting with 5G, our lead is being quickly overtaken by smart Asian kids who are not too lazy to learn. Ironically, if they think we are irrelevant, the world of educated young educated technology people wave goodbye as they pass us...yeah, I have to wonder who is irrelevant, kids who cannot spell without a spellcheck program (but whose parents experimented with VOIP tech in their college dorms) or kids who actually design, manufacturer and make great improvements in technologies that the Western kids’ parents invented?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  5. OP
    OP
    barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    No, the vast majority of Brits (working or retired) feel this way. Comments such as the above will do nothing to change that fact. That is one, albeit the not the main reason Dianne Abbott is not the Home Secretary in the current government. Not that the present incumbent has lived up to her promises thus far.

6. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Our lad started at Montessori in December and has had similar experience. He loves it and has quickly made friends. Little experience of whether this is replicated in state schools though. He spent a week in one before they rejected him for 'lack of continuous paperwork' on his progress through UK schooling (could be one for others contemplating a move here with a school age child - they are very anal about 'grades' for every year). That was going fine and no signs of any issues, albeit very brief.

• Like Like x 1
  7. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Kids that I have seen that have gone through the Montessori system in the US have almost without exception come out very well, much better than those educated in public schools (like me). I suppose it is equally superior in the UK as well as here in the Philippines and worldwide.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Are you kidding?

The "older generation" has squandered away the work efforts of the younger generation. The world is currently over 250 Trillion US dollars in debt. (that is 250 Trillion with a "T")

Please continue to enjoy suckling on the teat of the younger generations future.

https://www.axios.com/global-debt-increase-q1-2019-92ef0a63-b86e-471d-84c8-588a719f3fc2.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Why would we respect anyone that doesn't respect us. Respect is earned, not given...and boomers have done very little to earn our respect. For over a decade now boomers have been writing articles about how my generation is nothing but pieces of sh*t...even though we are better educated, more intelligent, less violent, commit less crime, beat our significant others far less than they did, respect the rights of people with different lifestyles and colored skin than those before us and killed far fewer people in war. We are objectively superior in almost every measurable way to the generations that came before us, just as the generations after us will be superior to us. The world will be a better place once the boomers die off and are pushed out of politics and no longer have a say in how society is ran. :troll:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    On the other hand, with Brunei having the world’s lowest debt (and the US the highest, of course), I will prefer that my children continue to be able to live in the US and not encourage them to avoid to paying the previous generation’s debt by moving to Brunei. It all depends in perspective of course, but the standard of living of the higher debt countries always seems to be higher than that of the lowest debt countries. Don’t think that by having zero debt and paying cash in hand, the people of the US would be better off; requiring everybody to buy their houses and cars with cash, not funded by banks holding only 10% of their loan values in reserve as per today, would result in people owning crappy houses and having to get around riding tricycles like in some unnamed places. I hear what you say but it is more complicated than that; people have been complaining about national and global debt since I was younger and saddled with the previous generations World War II debt, as I also paid for their social security payments and Medicare by paycheck deductions when I was younger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1