Dumaguete Info Search

Thank God we haven't any human garbage like this here...

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by barryrio, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Old age has set in (kidding). Yes I knew them well. I worked as a drive systems service guy
    Here's something that you can laugh at. How wrong could I get? The first time I saw a PLC on a customer's site I shook my head thinking "why go to all that trouble, these things will never catch on".
    Thanks for the reminder. The good old days. LoL

2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Op amps, including the famous 747, are analog and still very widely used today.

I never liked the astable multivibrators though. They could never decide if they were at 0 or 1.

“The” fundamental question of Boolean logic:

2B + (not)2B

Remembering that + is OR, not AND which is . (dot)

Nobody uses Boolean logic today as we did when they were made of discrete transistors. With IC’s, they are so plentiful that logic gates are dirt free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Not a clue what that is but looks interesting though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    I know we are way off topic at the moment but this is a conversation I'm truly enjoying, the good old days. When good engineering was eloquent. Not crapping on engineers today. They have a whole bunch of different challenges today processing signals and data at speeds that were unimaginable back in "the day".

It's been a long time since I've seen a 5.3 Volt, 50 Amp DC power supply. Pretty sure my back would go out if I had to change one now. That TTL gobbled a lot of power. Every couple of years I get a call to look at a drive system that I helped on the R&D of 30 tears ago. Some of those fossils are still in service. There are not that many people on this side of the grass that knew how it worked. LOL

Mr. Finn I had an IBM PC (cost me 2 months pay) It was a great machine with its 264 K of ram and a pair of 5.25 floppy. I loved your product until it fell into the hands of the accountants with their d*mn Lotus 123 and their 20 Mb hard drives (that group was special). Once the accounts had a handle on costs they tried to steer the engineering ship. Turns out the world is flat.

And Who says engineers don't have jokes?
    Was W. Shakespear ahead of his time?
    That is the question and the answer woud be 1 (according to deMorgan).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I go even further back that when nothing came in a plastic pack and the only things with two prongs were resistors capacitors chokes diodes etc and all the rest that had more than two were valves (tubes) for my american friends and reading a circuit diagram took some skill. And if you poked indiscriminately you got a rather nasty jolt and I had a few of those too. Memories Who remembers Kirchhoff any more?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    Having been a member of this forum since 2009, Ive seen numerous changes to the format, content and tenor of this site. Your comment regarding “boomers” typifies why your generation is justifiably bashed as a group of self absorbed narcissists. If you still you own this site, you have successfully alienated a significant percentage of your membership. It is comments like yours that certainly make me miss Rudys ownership of the Forum. There is no need to reply to my comment, should you choose to. Im terminating my membership today.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Keep in touch, coffee when the leg irons come off.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    The first 4 aren't of much use to an atheist, but the last 6 work pretty good in this life.
    1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
    2. You shall not make idols.
    3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
    4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    5. Honor your father and your mother.
    6. You shall not murder.
    7. You shall not commit adultery.
    8. You shall not steal.
    9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
    10. You shall not covet.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Funny......they say the same thing about liberals, less the gun part. Therein lies the problem. It's so hard to find the truth because many times the truth is what we make it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Comparison of the different generations.
    https://www.kasasa.com/articles/generations/gen-x-gen-y-gen-z
    https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/ess...lthood-today-compares-with-prior-generations/

People are products off their environment, so as the environment changes it's silly to think that children raised today would be like children raised 40 years ago. Every previous generation plays a role in the generations that follow. Not for what they do, but for building the foundation upon which they will live their lives. People value something more if they had to work for it then if it was given to them. You need to make people work and at the same time provide opportunity as a reward for that work. Frankly, I think many children today have been spoiled, but who is it that spoiled them?

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: May 4, 2020