Dumaguete Info Search

The effect on businesses

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Notmyrealname, Mar 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888

2. IggyPop

IggyPop DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +115 / 50
    Does anyone know how to trade stocks on the American markets, maybe Buy Apple. I'm not a US citizen and I'm residing in the Philippines.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Charles Schwab has an international platform but I believe you need 25k USD to open an account. A brokerage account in Europe should give you access to US markets. Philippine banks also offer the option as well but I am not aware of any of them with an online trading platform, and I suspect all of them have trading fees/limits.

I wouldn't recommend Apple though. Businesses that rely on foot traffic/in person sales/deliveries to make money will likely be hurting for a bit. However, if you can predict (or get lucky on guessing) when this social distancing stuff will end you could jump in right when those stocks recover. But thinking you can time the markets, especially if you don't even know how to get into the markets, would be highly inadvisable. Even the most seasoned investors can't reliably do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    And, of course, usually the stocks less likely to suffer from the virus crisis will have declined less. The trick is to find the best defensive stocks at the lowest prices - the experts run computers 24 hours a day to find that out, so we can merely guess.

When stocks go into free-fall we, as humans (using OUR own money), hesitate - the brokers go head in as it is not their money (and there is also the point that if they all put our money into stocks that crash then they can point the finger around at everyone else).

In 2008 I saw AVIVA (big insurance company) at about £1 per share with a dividend of 19p - a 19% annual dividend ('interest rate'). But my human instincts rocked in - 'what if?' So 'what if' they fell another 30%, 'what if' they cut the dividend? I didn't buy - only to see the dividend stay fairly high and the share price go above £4.40. £100,000 invested in 2008 would have seen its value go to over £440,000 and at times it would have given from £9000 to £20,000 per annum income.

Now Aviva is at £2.05 and the yield is 15% - should I buy? Will I buy? Now, my 'what ifs' are based on insurance claims - I have no idea how exposed they are to the economy. I suspect natural human fear will kick in and I won't buy. It takes steel to buy at this time but some who do will be well rewarded (and some will lose a lot!).

This is a better 'gamble' for the young.

• Like Like x 1
  5. IggyPop

Ratings:
    +115 / 50
    Ok maybe Apple is a bad buy, I just thought down 30% one of the most recognisable brands in the world.

Hertz is another one down 50% since the beginning of the month.

You're right though, I'm not sure if we can trust a local broker or even bank. Plenty of international online platforms.

I was not able to open a Schwab account as I do not hold a Social security number for the US.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm sure they will rebound, assuming people will still be able to afford their overpriced mediocre electronics after all this is over.

Car rentals? Seems a lot of vehicles will be coming on the market through inheritances if things continue does the current path. Are there any apps out there like Airbnb for car rentals?

A TIN should work all the same.
    https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin

7. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Has there been any announcements on closure of hotels, boarding houses and the like? Just wondering because those places could be a hot spot of infection. Or are they just relying on the lack of travelers coming into Dumaguete.

8. IggyPop

Ratings:
    +115 / 50