Dumaguete Info Search

The flag of the philippines

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Mar 13, 2013.

1. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Hi Guys n Gals,
    A Question came up while I was watching a show
    It was about the Union Jack....the national flag of UK, which is the right way up for the flag?
    So I was just wondering how many people can tell me what the colours are of the Philippine Flag and which way should it be Flown-hoisted......Cheers

Off the top of your head no cheating

2. Last Call

Last Call DI Junior Member

Physicist
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Red up in time of piece Red down in time of war. Supposed to symbolize the blood flow. I did not look this up.

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Red,White and Blue.

4. kewl:)

kewl:) DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a correction there Last Call. Red is up when in war or Red is down when in Peace..

5. Last Call

Last Call DI Junior Member

Physicist
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Ya I looked it up right after posting. Guess I only had a 50:50 chance.

6. stevewatson

stevewatson Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting talking about flags. Red White and Blue are used both by the UK and the USA on their flags, and of course Australia, being part of the British Commonwealth, but Canada, also part of the BC, chose not to go that way, and deleted the blue. I would have thought that the USA also, would have selected a different colour scheme after their War of Independence against the Brits ?:confused: Maybe all the love was not lost between them ?:wink: The Phil flag is also interesting, using the red white and blue, and a touch of yellow is nice.:cool: Does anyone know the significance of: red, white and blue ? It seems to be very common on flags.

7. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    An interesting subject, as flags and their coming into being are usually steeped in history and tradition. In general, I can find no specific significance in the popular use of red, white and blue, but as you rightly say, those colours are prevalent in the flags of many nations. The original flag of England is the Cross of St. George, a red cross on a white background, and this was the banner flown by King Richard 1st (Richard the Lionheart) in the third Crusade, which took place during his reign of 1189-1199. As the Crusades were deemed to be a Holy War, some authorities claim that the red represents the blood spilled and the white represents purity, but just as many authorities dispute this and it is the subject of much discussion amongst eminent historians. However, one exception to the colours used is in the Philippines flag, and there the colours do seem to have a significance.

The Philippines flag is a blue over red bi-colour, with a white equilateral triangle to the left of the flag as it is viewed. The flag is flown with the white triangle against the flagstaff, with blue upper during peace and red upper during conflict. Within the white triangle there is an eight-rayed sun and three gold stars. The eight-rayed sun represents the eight provinces that rose in revolt against the Spanish during the 19th century. The three gold stars represent the three main geographical areas of the nation; Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. The red colour represents courage and bravery, while the blue denotes noble ideals. The triangle stands for the KATIPUNAN, an organisation that led the revolt against Spain, and the colour white represents purity.

The flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is officially known as the Union Flag, but more widely known as the Union Jack. The latter term is the more popular, and is accepted Royally, socially and legally. The current Union Jack is a variation of the first flag, used from 1606-1801. On the 12th April 1606, James VI of Scotland, having inherited the thrones of England and Ireland as James 1st, instigated the flag by Royal Decree. Accordingly, the Cross of St. George was merged with the flag of Scotland, known as the St. Andrews cross, which is a white saltire on a blue background, and it formed the flag of Great Britain to be known as the Union flag. In 1801, St. Patricks Cross (a red saltire on a white background) was added to form the flag that is used today. The term Union Jack was most likely coined by sailors in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Union flag is flown by ships when tied up alongside or at anchor. The flag is flown at the bows (the sharp end). The flag pole on the bows is known as the Jackstaff, therefore the Union flag to be flown on the Jackstaff became the Union Jack. The flag may also be flown from the yardarm, but this is only to signify that a court-martial is taking place on board. When the ship is under way, the Union flag is removed and replaced with the White Ensign. Depending on the design of the ship, it can be flown from the Jackstaff, the main mast or the quarter deck.
    To fly the flag correctly, the white of St. Andrew is above the red of St. Patrick in the upper hoist quadrant. In other words, the broad white band is at the top and nearest to the flag pole. This is always expressed as "Broadside up". I like that phrase !!!

View attachment 9176
    Correct

View attachment 9177
    Wrong

Whilst many countries, past and present members of the Commonwealth, have designed their own flags, many have also retained the Union Jack within those flags, notably Australia, New Zealand and various provinces of Canada. It's interesting to note that the first official flag of the United States did actually include the Union Jack, and the official flag of Hawaii still does.

View attachment 9178
    Grand Union flag, Ist offical flag of the US

View attachment 9180
    Offical flag of Hawaii

So there you have it, a load of seemingly useless information, but may come in handy if you ever take part in a pub quiz !!

Attached Files:

8. Stilo

Stilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi, great post Broadside, wasn't sure the correct way it was hung and the history thanks Anthony.

9. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Well done last call, anyway you were on the right track.
    It is, I believe, the only National Flag with a dual purpose and can be flown (Hoisted either way ) depending on circumstances.
    eg war or peace. Brilliant posting by Broadside.

10. stevewatson

stevewatson Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great info Broadside:cool: