Dumaguete Info Search

The intolerance of "charging" for charging laptop and smartphone in coffee shops in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by John Salinasy, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well I don't know about that, an average cell phone charger uses about 2-6 watts. An average computer charger about 15-20 watts. I think a cup of coffee could easily cover those costs (for the time it takes to drink that coffee/eat breakfast). The cost of the charging is not really the issue (for one hour of charging that costs the business about 6 centavos for cell phones and 15 centavos for laptops). Taking up a seat is the issue. I think there are better ways to discourage college students/internet workers from loitering that don't discourage your more responsible customers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yeah. Let's just hope that local businesses don't go the route that Starbucks goes. Most Starbucks let people loiter as long as they want (without having to pay for anything)...and punish the paying customers with ridiculously high prices.

I think people should be allowed no more than one hour in a coffee shop/fast food restaurant without ordering something. If you loiter you are an inconsiderate a-hole and the business will be better off without your "business". Nothing I hate more than walking into a coffee shop/fast food restaurant and seeing a bunch of moochers taking up all the seats without anything in front of them. They lose my business if they can't keep those turds out. So yeah, while I don't agree a business loses money on letting people charge their phones...I sure as sh*t love seeing them charge people ridiculous rates to charge their phones/laptops. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    thumbs-up-homer.png As it should be :bag:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Yes, because that is showing respect for the business. Running a business is not always easy - if it were then not so many would close down. So we all should understand that they have different ways of coping - we respect that or vote with our wallets and go elsewhere. Any astute business owner would soon suss if there is part of the business model which needs changing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There have been many instances where I sat at a restobar waiting on someone running on Filipino time and ended up getting smashed on rum and cokes because of their lateness. Yep..."respect for the business"...that's my excuse for getting drunk from now on. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Is that luck? (To mash up two threads) :smile:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sorry, I don't understand it can be a problem to pay for charging, but if I'm denied charging I see it as unfriendly customer service. I try that as a regular customer in a coffee shop in BQ mall in Tagbilaran groundfloor, I never went back, the idiot went bankrupt soon after, that was probably not because of me lol. I agree in the proposal for 1 hour working on a laptop, these people don't benefit to a business and either to the atmosphere/good vibes in a place. People who work online know exactly where to go and who allowed them to stay all day with a water or coffee, MacDonalds is one place. When I'm traveling I always bring a power bank same size as a cellphone

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tis me

tis me DI Member

Ratings:
    +196 / 45
    Time to have a chat with your 19 year old inconsiderate daughter.

10. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    My sincere apologies for the thread hi-jack, but to me this mentality is similar to the food fascism often seen at buffets or all you can eat for P99 events. Not that I am a fan of either but I am sure we have all been there: notices informing us “One plate only”, “Empty plate before replenishing”, or “Left overs will be charged” (with what? A cattle prod? Bigamy?) as waiters and waitresses glower menacingly across poky food halls, jaded hotel ballrooms or decrepit breakfast rooms.

Charging for leccy whilst one sups at for whatever passes at a coffee shop in Dumaguete is nothing short of desperation. Desperation to wring every last centavo from a patron. I appreciate the young idle Filipino youth in this University Town may have nothing better to do than suck every last watt n ohm from the energy grid between dance classes and parades whilst sipping from the dregs of their extra small skinny chocolate lattes bought at 10am when the place opened. But who let ‘em in anyway?

On the other hand, as customers and patrons, do we necessarily have the right to expect such a service? Common courtesy demands a polite request, “would you mind recharging this? I’m afraid I am out of battery and I am expecting a call from the Nobel Peace Prize Committee/my employers at the Michelin Guide/ET.”

The point being is that there are uses and abuses on many sides of the argument(s). On the one hand a culture of freeloading and generalised poncing adapted by the Social Media generation in the land of silly haircuts, to unrealistically raised expectations of what a business should do in a Developing nation: and how they should address the scramble for an edge in life/something for nothing mentality.

And there, right perhaps in the middle fall we, simple stuff, wanting to peck away at our PCs whilst enjoying beans harvested by the rural poor in another developing nation whilst we do our business. Not easy to find the compromise really.

Your humble correspondent submits: not to patronise such establishments, but always to ask before finding an empty socket if in an emergency. Airport lounges/Government buildings/Hospitals being the exception mostly. We know generally large impersonal places can afford it and it’s the duty of the little guy to have a buck or two off the Big Cheeses in this Monde. Starbucks, Jollibee, any big corporation also included for the sheer culinary misery and miserly labour practices they inflict on their employees.

God, I’m in a bad mood today. Where’s me Rum? Something else the place is missing around here is ‘man parking’ whilst the wife shops. You know, widescreen tv with sports, free nuts n chips, some comely buxom wench for eye candy flustering about wiping down your table now and again. Tables obviously at knee height for maximum cleavage glimpse opportunities. And deep leather settles. For men wishing to arrange the world to their likings as their credit cards are drained. The day Rob’s inserts one of those into their catastrophes of emporia is the day I prounounce civilisation has arrived in the Phils.

Hell will freeze over then.

C

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1