Dumaguete Info Search

The intolerance of "charging" for charging laptop and smartphone in coffee shops in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by John Salinasy, Nov 30, 2018.

1. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
  2. tis me

tis me DI Member

Ratings:
    +196 / 45
    It is to late for me I am still a 70 year old child, not sure at what age I will become a adult.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So companies should be free to do what they want but people should not be allowed to voice their displeasure with their business practices so that others can determine if they want to visit that establishment?

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Consider the profit margin many of these coffee shops and small places work on is very small even some of the big names because of franchise costs and cuts where volume is the key. Having someone come in and charge their laptop for an hour could consume the profit margin of that cheaper cup of coffee they bought. Not only that but they are consuming *free* wifi the business pays for.

The bigger thing though in my mind which I've seen many times is these people sitting charging their laptops and using the free wifi who sit in their all day long while only ever ordering one drink. I've left many establishments because there was NO seating because of these people who you can tell have been there for hours which means they lost my business which is likely larger to cater to someone who gives barely any business and even less profit if not actually costing them. One place that often comes to mind is Rolling Pin where I like to grab a pannini sometimes but often find all the seating taken up by college kids on laptops all day long but I've seen it Bo's Coffee as well among other places.

The one hope the business has is that the laptop battery will die and they will then free up the table. But if they got free charging they would never leave so charge for that to discourage the freeloaders.

I remember as well when I had my mini resto in Bacong a few years back offering free wifi. I found out quickly I had to change the password daily sometimes multiple times a day because someone would come in and buy a soda and get the wifi password and an hour later there were 3-4 sitting across the street where the signal still reached loading off my wifi.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There are ways around this. Setup the Wi-Fi to where customers get an access code on the receipt, access codes are good for one device for 30 minutes (or more if the purchase was larger). If you want more time you have to buy something else.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Yup, but they are annoying to setup especially for a small business's who will also likely need to hire a professional to set it up. But I definately agree this is the ideal way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No you don't.
    https://muftwifi.com/software/

I'm sure there are open source/free options out there as well.

• Like Like x 1