Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: The latest Craze in UK

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sure. But there are a hell of a lot more people putting around at 10-20kph in areas that can easily handle traffic going 50-70kph.

The mix of different speeds is extremely dangerous. I'm certainly not saying the speed limit through town should be 100kph+...that would be ridiculous. You shouldn't be going 20kph in a 70kph (like the southern highway) zone and you shouldn't be doing 70kph in a 20kph zone (like in downtown).

The speed limit here is rarely posted. The speed limit is fluid. Driving from Dumaguete to Valencia at 10:30am and driving the exact same route at 6:00pm require very different speeds. (40-50kph compared to 15-30kph). People who can't adjust are a danger to everyone.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The slower you go the more time you have to spend looking behind you for reckless idiots coming up on you. That's time not spent looking for reckless idiots in front of you.

People driving much slower than the flow of traffic are a danger to everyone on the road.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Totally agree here But and there is always a but, You I am sure as I do take into account the Idiots that emerge without stopping and/or looking, that just come out without a care from the side roads and Road side Shops and stalls, this can alter any flow of traffic and cause problems :sorry:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The idiots on bikes and scooters is not unique to your location. In the last year biking has exploded in popularity here. Huge groups take up entire lanes, swerve left and right as they pedal, refuse to give way to faster traffic, pull out into traffic without looking, have flashing lights so bright that they blind oncoming traffic at night, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    The fact is every country has driving quirks. I've driven across many countries and it's just about getting into the style of local driving, without losing any good habits that you may have from your initial training and experience. It can be scary and frustrating, or scary and exhilarating - depending on which country you're adjusting to - but it all should become normal after a time.

If you let it get to you, then don't drive. Heart attack waiting to happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    If only I had a dashcam....
    One bike in the fast lane, one bike in the slow lane. These guys had some point to prove. No idea what it was.
    There had been a heavy rain leaving a small fishing pond at the curb. The slow lane guy pulled along side Mr Fast lane to avoid the puddle.
    HALA. Some one in a Ford Raptor siezed the moment and went blasting through the pond. Dumb and Dumber almost got washed off their bikes.
    If only I had the video it would be all over the internet. d*mn, I'd be a Tic-toc Star.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  7. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Total agree "Just as DANGEROUS" One of my friends and I often walk the "Wirral Way" which is open to both walkers and cyclists.
    There is a campaign slogan "Think bike think speed" .....I now have made a safety waistcoat with "Think bike think DEAF" on it, the times we have nearly been run over due to cyclists who dont slow or just assume you know they are coming from behind you!
    It's true heavy congestion in London especially but on the occasions I visit London I stick to the tourist red buses on/off circular well worth the money and can travel all day 24 hrs one off payment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Have you tried walking down the south highway in Bacong/Baniland where there are roadworks. Frigging crazy, there's rocks and soil on the pedestrians side, so if you wanted to get past you have to walk in the road. Or if you wanted you could keep crossing the road. I'm not surprised people opt to travel by a vehicle.
    I wish it were different, I like walking but where I live it's so dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1,089
    Tis the one thing that will remain constant. The ever over flowing abundance of ignorance and stupidity World wide.

• Agree Agree x 2