Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education The new K12 program

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by newbie27, Jun 4, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I think k12 is okay "IF" Philippines is as stable as other countries. Those DepED heads/officers who approve and push this program perhaps forgot to look at those schools in the mountains, far towns and barangays. That a student even hardly can afford a single piece of uniform, pencil, paper etc. A Filipino student who cant even afford to bring a (ba-on) snack for himself. A student who will have to walk by kilometers or number of rivers to cross at just to reach the school. A student that even a a new slipper the parents cant afford to buy one. These things I mentioned are very visible to our neighboring towns and mountains not only in the island of Negros but the whole archipelago. They even bring themselves a ("buwad" dried fish or "ginamos" salted fish or a salt for lunch). Perhaps, this city based DepEd dont feel what far towns student experience every school year. I pity those students that needs additional 2 years to sacrifice just to get a high school diplomas. Maybe were lucky here in the city we haven't experienced this things but pls...DEPED be considerate to majority of the Filipino students who cant afford to spent additional 2yrs at school and fopr sure there will be more drop out this time. Let them graduate asap, let them find work. To DepEd please dont dream that this additional 2 more years can make a better quality Filipino education. Just accept the fact that no matter what we do, we cant beat HARVARD, STANDFORD, TOKYO universities etc...we cant even beat ASEAN schools. Lets be satisfy what we can do as for the moment and pity those poor students.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    just have a look at Public Elementary Schools in Dumaguete. Most of them are very poor equipped, many kids here in Batinguel or Candau-Ay can't afford pencil. No difference in Lo-oc or Calindagan, even they get way more support from the City (as they are in the "slum-areas") where I wonder why one spends tons of money on useless stainless handrails instead of schoolbooks...

no, one does not need to go outside the city to see that K12 won't work for most of the population (parents and kids)

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    My guess is education in the Philippines has historically been a low priority and the people who could make a difference (See Forbes 40 richest Filipinos) probably were educated abroad and send their kids abroad.
    What are the government thinking? A kid finishes school at age 16, can not become an OFW until 18. What are they going to do?
    On the other hand, friends in Makati who send their kids to International schools rave about the education, and if you look at the alumni from the International School, you will see many prominent filipino surnames.
    I wish I had the answer or even a good suggestion that might work, but unless education becomes a voting priority issue, I doubt much will change.

4. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Matter how you look at it there really isn't any solution. You can't legally work as a fulltime employee until 18 yet graduate highschool at 16. You go to college and are forced into paying high prices for class's that are completely useless as far as your higher education for a career goes. Seriously why is MAPE (Music, Arts, Physical Education) part of college and not finished in highschool? Why is NTSP (National Service Training Program) a part of college where all you do is plant a few trees and pick up garbage. Why is ROTC part of college? These are all class's that just cost a buttload when your paying $10-15k+ a semester for a higher education.

Also those living way up in the mountain areas likely to ever get out of that area to make something of themselves matter 2 years more or less of education. But because they have almost no chance and can't afford it isn't a reason to not do this anymore then its a reason to scrap education all together.

Now I've seen some people who come from very poor families who always find a way somehow, some of these young students 11, 12, 13 years old (and no nothing illegal). A smart mind always finds a way to get by and manage things. The real problem isn't the money, its that Filipino's aren't taught to think the proper way to advance themselves and push for more out of life and that starts at the parents.

5. Travel Time

Travel Time DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's true in any country by the way. The parents are the front line regarding overall education about life.

6. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Fact is country's like this don't want there people educated. They want them as near as illiterate as possible. They don't want them to be able to think for them selves and make decisions on there own.
    I think most the politicians and well educated people are educated outofthe country.

An example of the education here. A girlfriend of mine got below average grade, not because she wasn't smart but because her parents refused to give a "consideration" of 3 chickens to the teacher. I have heard this story from more than one person.

A friend of mine kid graduated from preschool and 1/3 of the words on the certificate were misspelled.

They can't even do that right.