Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: The pace of Life

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    For me, during Covid, I deal with very few people now and being more of a loner, I like that better. Stress is less now that my wife had Pfizer and I don't have to stress as much when she meets with her unvaccinated friends. No face to face school puts stress on my wife playing teacher with our son. My wife has learned to cook pasta and other dishes I enjoy so not going out to eat is not an issue.
    Most of the world news sucks so I pass on watching news and watch Netflix and sports on laptop. If only I wasn't getting older no complaints but considering the alternative no complaints. Stay safe

• Like Like x 8
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I feel the pace of life has gotten slower and getting shopping done has gotten easier and less stressful. I've noticed no changes in driving habits here, just as stupid and frustrating as it has always been. Filipinos seem to be just as friendly as before the pandemic.

My gf regularly shows me ridiculous and outrageous behavior on TikTok but I'm not sure if this is something new or something that we just now have eyes on because the platform makes that stuff go viral. I know greedy, corrupt, inconsiderate and rude @ssholes have always existed...they are just getting put on video now because everyone has a camera in their pocket. I think this is good for society though, makes people better behaved as any public display of ridiculous behavior could wind up getting you in trouble or shunned by society.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Don't think it's ever too late. In 2015, at ages 72 and 62, we bailed out of california, got rid of 95% of our crap (kept one tie and one blazer (never wear) and kitchen utensils). The 95% included two cars, our library except for 20 books, all furniture. Researched the world, decided on Dumaguete, visited for a month and in July 2016, moved here permanently and brought along the puppy, only got one car. I think we got out at the right time, that place is a mess. Takes a bit to adjust but it's worth it. Only regret is not keeping more kitchen stuff.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Well done you Edward, so that makes you both aged 78 and 68 now, Wow !
    At 75 + 61 years of age, my wife and I have minor health issues, which are holding me personally back from making that permament move, much as I love the laid back life style I find in the provinces in Phil;
    My regret, is that we didn't make the move when I retired 10 years ago. Wishing you both the best of health. JB

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think kids are hyper-social with social media. It isn't the social behavior those of us that grew up before social media know but it is still social behavior. We all showed off our toys/things to our friends as kids and teenagers and fell into cliques that we felt best suited our personalities and we still do it as adults. Social media has only expanded the number of "friends", acquaintances, and cliques a person can have/join.

As for the effects the pandemic is having on kids...of course it will have a negative impact on them. Many fully developed adults can't even cope with the changes lock downs have had on their lives. Nobody should expect a child with an underdeveloped brain and a complete inability to understand, let alone control, their emotions to cope any better. It isn't a "kids these days" thing, any kid from any point in history would have trouble dealing with such massive and abrupt changes to their daily lives, routines and social lives. The finger should never be pointed at kids, it should be pointed at the adults that raised them (and then who raised those parents) and the circumstances they put those children in. It isn't children that mishandled this pandemic, it was adults. Adults these days...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Perhaps not as noticeable in the Province's as in the cities, but has the pace of life changed in the Philippines?
    During this near two year Covid Lockdown, people around the world being forced to isolate, apart from necessary shopping, it would seem has lead to a higher increase in mental stress and with it, less social interaction.
    A more aggressive attitude is showing when one is shopping or for that matter while driving, it's also more noticeable in some shops, the way both customers and staff treat each other here in UK.
    As the world is now starting to open up again, with long distance air flights slowly beginning, will life ever be the same as it was before?
    Is the pace of life getting faster?....or am I getting slower and more sensitive?
    Just a thought. JB

• Like Like x 5
  7. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    Due to work or the lack of it in SE Asia for my line of work my wife and i spent 2 years back in the UK 2017 to 2019 after not being there for 10 years.
    The first thing that struck me was the attitude of a lot of people, rude, aggressive and unhelpful.
    I will give one example although i could give hundreds, i ordered a new gas boiler from British Gas and the guy who came to fit it was a sub contractor and had a child of around 11 or 12 with him, when i enquired why he said, that's my apprentice, is that a problem ?
    After 5 or 10min of rude and surly behaviour i told him to pack up his stuff and leave, he said don't you want your boiler fitted ? i said yes but not by you now f**k off.
    10 min after he left a manager called me and i explained to him the situation, within 1 hour 2 British gas employee's arrived and did the job with no problems.
    I asked them if they knew the first guy that came and after a few questions they told me the guy had a record of that kind of behaviour, yet British gas still use him !
    This was 2017 and long before covid so i think the decline in good manners cant be blamed on lockdowns and isolation, i wish it could then there might be hope that it would improve with time but i think we are on a one way down slope.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I wonder if John boy meant anti social behavior? I noticed that in the UK, young brats being antisocial.

• Agree Agree x 2