Dumaguete Info Search

The Veterans Scandal on Bernie Sanders’s Watch

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by Rye83, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Bernie Sanders’s tenure as chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee was characterized by glaring neglect of his oversight responsibilities, allowing the 2014 VA scandal to unfold under his watch, veterans’ rights advocates argue.

Sanders has touted his work on veterans’ issues, most recently citing his involvement in “the most comprehensive VA health care bill in this country,” in a debate Thursday.

Left unsaid however, is that he was the chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, responsible for overseeing the Department of Veterans Affairs, as the scandal erupted.

Dozens of veterans died while waiting for medical care at Phoenix Veterans Health Administration facilities, a scandal CNN broke in the spring of 2014. The imbroglio spread with reports of secret waiting lists at other VA hospitals, possibly leading to dozens more preventable deaths.

The Veterans Scandal on Bernie Sanders’s Watch - The Daily Beast

They only want to take responsibility when something good happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Typical of most every tin pot politician to toot their own horn especially when up for re-election or in his particular case trying to be the POTUS. Highlight the stuff that can ber spun to look good and ignore the negative aspects and hope the people aren't paying attention. One reason I hold most if not all politicians in such low regard.

3. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yeah. I've been wondering about this issue for two years now.

Ever since all those alleged Veteran deaths occurred in ARIZONA that FINALLY kicked off an investigation by Congress and Senate.

Oh Yeah. One of the Senators (there are two Senators from each state) who represents ARIZONA is Sen. John McCain (R).

Since McCain has offices in Arizona, the State he represents, and since many of his Arizona Residents/Veterans died from lack of timely care from the VA health care (death care) system in the state HE represents, why didn't McCain blow the whistle on the VA to his Senatorial VA Committees?

You can't tell me McCain and/or his Arizona staff didn't know about this YEARS before the Congressional and Senatorial Committees got wind of this.

I'll bet his Arizona offices DID know something was wrong. Veterans and their families DO correspond with their LOCAL Senator's offices - for which McCain has many.

Perhaps McCain was up for re-election back then and didn't want this deadly VA scandal to blow up HIS re-election bid.

Perhaps McCain (a Vietnam era/POW Vet) has such a great health care plan as a Senator from Arizona since 1987, that he doesn't HAVE TO frequent the VA death centers (er... health centers) like all us other Vets do.

Who knows?

But I do find this situation very ironic and very hypocritical.

That it took a Senator from VERMONT to help publicly and nationally blow the whistle about the VA (thanks in part to CNN), well, as a Veteran, this speaks volumes to me about the "Silent Senator" from ARIZONA - a Senator from Arizona (the Phoenix VA is in his territory) since 1987.

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016