Dumaguete Info Search

Those d*mn Pedicabs!

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by SteveB, Jun 30, 2013.

1. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I heard from a reliable source that a German National, residing in Malrous, Calindagan, Dumaguete, died last week (Monday, I believe) in a motorcycle accident involving a pedicab. I have been reluctant to post this since the person's name has not been mentioned in the local news and since I have no proof of the incident itself. However, since I have had several near misses myself and my wife spent a few days in the hospital due to a similar accident, I thought it would be a good time to bring this subject to light again.

Apparently, he was overtaking a pedicab on the National Highway in Bacong when the pedicab turned left without signaling. I don't know all the details except that he died and his passenger was taken to hospital and later released. I do understand the need for pedicabs and I appreciate that, but there are way too many on the roads, many of the drivers have no clue how to drive, many of the pedicabs are deathtraps, and they just wreak havoc on driving in general. I also believe that pedicabs are not even allowed on National Highways but I am pretty sure that this driver will still be plying his route next week unless a private citizen (maybe his partner) steps forward and lays charges against him! If you got rid of all the pedicabs that don't meet even minimum Philippine safety standards (lights, signals, brakes, muffler, smoke test as well as getting rid of the remaining two-stroke bikes), you would cut the number in half, at least, and probably get rid of many of the worst drivers at the same time. However, they are a politically aggressive group so I doubt that this will ever happen.

Anyway, my sincere condolences to the Gentleman's family and friends.

2. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And while at it, replace them with electrical carts, and Dumaguete will be a clean place.

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    His motorcycle is still in bacong police station,the wife was bruised up with a few stitches also! I think he died of head injuries as he was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. R.i.p

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Bacolod had the good sense to toss them out of the downtown area many years ago. It did wonders...far more pleasant. Dumaguete should do the same. And agree, electrics for the rest....after an intensive, and mandatory, driver training program. Yes, the pedicab drivers can make all the noise they want...but the pesos behind it wouldn't be enough to worry anyone.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't know what bacolod you are driving in but downtown Bacolod it is a crowded, overpopulated, polluted 3rd world **** hole full of bad jeepney and taxi drivers. Taxis and jeepney are just more tonnage for the retarded Filipino driver to cause more damage, destruction and death. Not any better than any other city in the Philippines.

If this guy had been wearing a helmet he likely would have survived. I considered helmets optional at one time, but at that time I would now consider myself a moron. Nobody should ride without a helmet in this country full of idiotic drivers. It really is suicide.

6. Mod02

Mod02 Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A friend of mine happen to go by the unfortunate accident and saw the foreigner laying on the ground bleeding from the head and mouth. I post this as a heads up to what Wrye83 is stating. The Dgte to Dauin highway is full of danger.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That road ain't the only one, but I am scared to drive that direction more so than any other. You won't catch me going that way after dark. Seems the drivers in Bacong/Dauin/Siaton are among the worst on the island for some reason.

8. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    The south highway between Robinsons and Bacong is often called Sesame Street by foreigners. But it's not so much the road, it's the idiots on it, particularly after dark, and more often than not trike drivers. The half-wit coming towards you with full glare fog lights on, blinding you to anything in front of you, and then you have to stand on your brakes to avoid the trike stopped with no lights on. Trikes that stop and start without warning, without looking and without even caring. Numbskulls who join the road from the right without stopping and without even looking. It's not confined to that road of course, the crass lunacy that masquerades as driving is all around, without regulations or enforcement. The idiocy is not limited to trikes, but they seem to be the main offenders, and the congestion and pollution they cause in town is just too stupid for words. The LTO posture in their own importance, but they are both impotent and incompetent, and Traffic Management who are incapable of managing traffic are a waste of oxygen.

9. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    I wonder if the pedicab driver is going to file a case against the asawa of man for damages to his tryke? I heard once a pinoy said to a expat its your fault this happened because if you did not come to dumaguete to live this would not have happened so you must pay.

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Ahhh, so nice to hear something positive, R...!

:wink:

Larry