Dumaguete Info Search

Those d*mn Pedicabs!

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by SteveB, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have just bought a Trike from Dumaguete, Registered with a Yamaha Motorcycle and was surprised when asawa to be told me there is no Brakes on the Trike Wheel! :eek:

When I am there I would like to have some extra lighting installed as I do not like how the Headlight is partially hidden within the Framework of the Trike, where would be a good place to take it around the Maluay area between Zamboanguita and Dumaguete to have some extra safety lighting fitted? (And not Battery operated lighting) :rolleyes:

Cheers, Brian

Attached Files:

2. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    It took me a while to get accustomed to the loud bangs over here. In California you duck because it's gun shots .. here it's just another pedi cab tire blowing out lol

3. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    with the correct hub fitted to the trike you can have brakes that will stop you in a straight line and with all that extra weight added these things should have brakes

4. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I have thought the same, but it is easier said than done as the 3rd wheel is often a different diameter than the wheels on the motorcycle. How would the brake of the 3rd wheel be activated - by cable or hydraulically? What would keep it at the same speed as the other two wheels? If the 3rd wheel brakes too hard it could cause the trike spin or otherwise be unstable, the same applies if it does not apply enough braking force.

I think the only way it would safely work is for the trike to have an ABS system that regulates the braking force applied to each wheel, in other words - it's not going to happen as it would be too complicated and expensive.

If someone can come up with an inexpensive and viable solution more power to them. It would be great, but I don't think it is going to happen.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    It could be done easily enough with hydraulics/disc brakes, so long as the third wheel was the same size as the rear wheel on the Bike. Probably P10,000+ which would make it prohibitive to most Filipino trike owners.

6. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    You made my points.

1) Wheel sizes are different.

2) None of the trikes here that I have seen use hydraulic rear brakes.

3) Cost is a prohibiting factor.

7. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    You made my points.

1) Wheel sizes are different.

2) None of the trikes here that I have seen use hydraulic rear brakes.

3) Cost is a prohibiting factor.

8. roadking

roadking DI Member Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    & that's why you do not find many tricycle 's with brakes on the sidecar If any ...Why are you surprised !...

9. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    So? Brakes are possible or not possible? Cost is not the factor here, Safety is, if it is to be our "Family Transportation" until as such time I can afford to buy a small Suzuki style People Mover Van for us...

I am thinking of adding LED Lighting so that it will not drain the Battery or charging system so much, or even fitting a second Battery with a small Solar Panel on top to trickle charge so that I never have to kick start the damned thing, I HATE kick starts especially more so with my broken leg!

Anak wants to paint it PINK! I will compromise and maybe do some type of Jeepney style Paintwork on it then add the LED lighting so that way you guys will see it coming a couple of miles away and think it is a UFO! :D hehe

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Yes, possible. You need to start with two hub/wheel assemblies that match, preferably the 17" stock TMX size (or whatever size your rear tire is). Add brake discs, double the lines, and you will have to extend the one for the trike side, and the biggest MC master cylinder you can find. A good mechanic will have no problem putting it all together for you...

Cost will be about P10,000+/- depending on what you may have already for wheels/hubs etc. You may be able to use some existing parts. If you want me to look at it and give you a better idea of what you will need, I will be happy to do so at no charge, but I will not contract to do it for you or recommend anyone (I don't know anyone I trust).

Larry