Dumaguete Info Search

Thursday Club - Help for Sendong - Victims

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Rhoody, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Anther Update of last weeks activity.

We started in Candau-Ay, where we supported from the very beginning of this project the washed out kids. Now we went into the areas where the families "living".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The evening before the delivery the Barangay Captain picked op the relief goods with a few helpers and stored it in the Barangay Hall of Candau -Ay

[​IMG]

Helping for this delivery, Michelle who came to Dumaguete to visit Rechel, so we abused her... Thanks a lot for your assistance Sorry Roger, you missed her :p

[​IMG]

The Barangay prepared slips for the washed out families and handed them out an hour before the distribution

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

falling in line...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Good work -- glad to see that it continues. You guys are earning good karma!

What all those poor people need in the long run is decent housing in a safer area, the riverside slums shut-down for good. Our cousin who lives in the affected area says that officials have been there talking to them about that once again, but no firm promise or specific date. I asked a high D official about it at dinner last week, and y'know, they're working on it, trying to make plans, trying to find more budget -- I have little confidence anything much of it will be accomplished anytime soon :(

3. rechel

rechel DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Jan. 24 I contact Rowena (SteveB’s wife ) to help me with the delivery at Brgy. Calapnugan Sibulan for 84 families.. the bridge is said under contraction and no cars allowed to cross. Thank you so much to SteveB and his wife Rowena for helping us to get on the site.. where the brgy. Captain house is,then we distribute the donation as we saw a lot of victims are there and ready to have it.

Jan.25 I receive call from my friend Juliet (Fozzyboy’s wife) that’s she’s not so busy so she can join us.. We four had the delivery of donation and distribute in to brgy Magats Sibulan 24 families are totally wash out houses and 34 partially damage houses of families there..

After we’re done at brgy.Magatas we visit the Maslog Little Tondo in Sibulan. We meet their leader there a teacher in Saint Paul. She is also teaching 70 kids in her house during Sunday.. she give me the list of Families were help is also needed..

Tomorrow Sunday Jan.29 I will bring my kids with me to join and help me to give help with kids there in Little Tondo in Sibulan… Thank you so much Dumagueteinfo Members and Readers for all support and help you guys gives to the victims. My Makulit Monsters are excited to help me and meet the kids there in Little Tondo.

More pictures of our donation trip by Dumagueteinfo members helps are in my album here in my Profile..

4. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Barangay Boloc Boloc in Sibulan

gonna add some more pictures from last week....

That set is from the delivery to Barangay Boloc-Boloc on Jan 23.
    First picture another trikedriver which need to be mentioned, giving disount and carrying all the bags.

[​IMG]

The Barangay Captain from Boloc-Boloc came with his car to our house to pick up Rechel and the goods to be delivered directly to the affected sites..

[​IMG]

A look at the circumstances the victims have to exist there:

Apartment complex:

[​IMG]

unfurnished:

[​IMG]

semi-furnished:

[​IMG]

fully furnished:

[​IMG]

some victims:

[​IMG]

falling in line:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see at the "apartment"-pictures, that even a plate, a kettle and a spoon will help the victims. many of them have still close to nothing. Thank you all again for your support.

5. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I am 59+.....seen alot in my life......I realize a picture can still break my heart. God Bless all that have been so much help to all those affected.

6. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Sibulan - Barangay Calabnugan

Next on the list was Barangay Calabnugan in Sibulan, where a lot of Families with Kids were hit by the storm...

[​IMG]

Steve B and his sweet wife Rowena gave a big helping hand, thanks a lot :smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Just as a side note, while we were distributing the relief supplies in Barangay Magatas, Sibulan, my wife noticed a 4 year old boy that had two extra fingers dangling off his hands. We had previously managed to have a similar operation performed on a friend's hand so we asked the mother if she wanted to have those extra fingers surgically removed. She agreed. So, last week we contacted a Surgeon that we know and she agreed to perform the surgery. Two days later, it was done! Now that little boy will grow up without the extra appendages which should help him socially, at least, and probably save him some discomfort as he grows older. By the way, it turned out that the little boy had been abandoned by his mother at birth and the lady that we had spoken with was actually his guardian. She had taken the boy into her home after he was abandoned and has raised him as her own son. So, it was doubly pleasing to help them out. Thanks to all that helped!

Attached Files:

8. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Our involvement in Sendong relief has now come to an end. There are still some families within the city who are homeless but they are now under the care of the city welfare department.

When Sendong came and hit us, we were still in the process of finalising Project Santa, which gave a Christmas goody bag of gifts and essentials to all the children, new babies and new mothers in the Provincial Hospital. Our intention at the time was to use the small amount of money remaining in the fund to give some immediate help to the flood victims by buying some emergency clothing for the children who had lost everything. Little did we realise just how big the disaster was, for the more we looked the more we found. Even more so, little did we realise the generosity of so many people. The response from everyone was truly magnificent and at times we were overwhelmed by the donations which kept coming in from around the globe. Equally, the offers of physical help to fetch and carry, pack, load and distribute was just outstanding. Foreigner and Pinoy working side by side for a mutual cause - to help those who felt helpless. What was initially started locally in Batinguel soon spread, and in addition to many different locations around the city, the help that your donations provided went up the hill to Valencia and beyond, to Sibulan in the north and as far as Bacong to the south. Even the trike drivers that got involved would lift and shift, yet would not take payment. Just wonderful.

We started with 8333-45 peso. The donations were a fantastic 279,955-69 peso which gave us a fighting fund of 288,289-14 peso.
    We spent 283,818-07 peso which has left a balance of 4471-07 peso to be carried forward to the next project.

All of the money was spent on essentials - rice, soup, soap, cutlery, crockery, cooking utensils, milk, clothes, slippers, buckets, wash bowls, et al, - and those very needy people were so very grateful. Some shook hands, some were still in a daze, some said a simple "salamat" and some were tearful but all were graciously appreciative. It was money well spent on those that deserved it most.

So before this thread is closed, I would like to say a huge thankyou to everyone who took part in this very humanitarian cause which gave immediate and essential help to those who desperately needed it and who are the people that we have chosen to live amongst.

Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.