Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education Top 10 Universities in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Masculado, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    you don't burst any bubble at all. A BA in biology of Silliman is definitely NOT an international accredited degree by any means. (confirmed by Dr. Alcala, also a brilliant personality where I had the pleasure to dive with and spend for almost an afternoon talking about reef conservation and his work)

like I said clear above:
    Some are also gifted with a talent and might get the chance to develop that, but lets talk about the facts.

I assume you talk about Laura Tiu, where I don't doubt she is a very knowledgeable successful and nice woman.

After her BA here, her degree was good enough to get a job as a tropical fish-breeder in the states. It took her 2 years to get accepted at Mississippi (that she studied additional in that time is only a speculation), but again by no means went from Silliman to continue study in the US !!!

Her job is a Senior Research Associate, i am not familiar with US job-description but it definitely sounds (to me ) not like Director. Then again, a cigarette-vendor is nowadays a "promodizer", a shelf stuffer a "junior sales manger" and a e-load seller is a "technopreneur", so all is possible

It is a great achievement and she can be truly proud on her achievements, that still does not change the facts.

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Not sure about Silliman but at U.S. universities one would have a B.S. (Bachelor Science) degree in Marine Biology, as opposed to a B.A. (Bachelor Arts) degree.

3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    You are correct Pat, and that was a mistake on my part as she received a B.S. In Marine Biology from Silliman.

4. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The quality of education has deteriorated everywhere in this country. Graduates of yesterday were way better than the graduates now. It must be because of cellphones, TV, and the internet. Students no longer want to read nor value their studies. But this is not a hundred percent true because we still have some brilliant graduates---but only a handful and not enough to make a huge difference in this country.

5. Jopliniac

Jopliniac DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm NOT embarrassed to be a Sillimanian and to be a future alumnus. You know, education depends NOT what school you are from BUT how you pursue education as it is. Schools can teach you all the great things but at the end of the day, learning will happen only if you will let it happen. It depends on the student NOT on the school. (although schools who have great facilities have the better edge of teaching). I wouldn't say i'm great (yay, feeler) but i would say i'm proud to be part of Silliman because i know where i am and what i do passionately, and education is not how someone knows how to use Abacus and what the rank of their school is. Geesh.