Dumaguete Info Search

Tourist arrivals up 87.3 percent

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by shadow, Jul 23, 2013.

1. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Reading this thread, I have been trying to formulate why I am looking forward to leaving the US and NYC to live out my retirement years in Dumaguete. Having only visited the PI twice, and Dumaguete once, I can say with all certainty that this "city boy" is quite burned out on living in the "Capital of the World," and is looking for a simpler life where the air (despite the tankers and buses) is still cleaner than Manhattan, and downright sterile compared to Manila.

I love it that I can stand in the middle of the "city" of Dumaguete, and WALK to the countryside in less than half an hour.

I love it that there are zero traffic lights, yet traffic at busy intersections still seems to move in the same way that commuters make their way through Grand Central Terminal at rush hour.

I love the fact that the city will always be energized by the presence of young people since there are so many universities and colleges.

I love the fact that my meager pension and Social Security checks would merely allow me to eke out an existence in New York, but will allow me to live quite comfortably in Dumaguete among people who culturally respect their elders. I just hope I can rid myself of the curmudgeon in me that has developed.

See you in 2017. Join up another table at Why Not for me in the afternoon. Order up a cold beer for me, thanks!

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
  3. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    NYC.....just looked up the word curmudgeon......
    Welcome to the forum, hope your pending retirement turns out to be all you are wishing for.
    ( from one grumpy git to another :smile: )....JB