Dumaguete Info Search

Traffic in Dumaguete absolute c-h-a-o-s!

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Jack Peterson, Jan 5, 2016.

1. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    Dumaguete has a NO PLANNING DEPARTMENT...

2. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    I joined the forum as I couldn't be bothered to set one up for Siquijor where I live :smile: . I take the ferry across maybe once or twice a week when I am back from work in the Phils to stock up on supplies etc. I must say that the situation has got a whole lot worse since I first arrived nearly 10 years ago. I stay over in one of the hotels if I have unfinished business or simply am too manana to take on of the last ferries back. Though I am doing this less and less as the fleets of deafening tricycles, endless solid traffic jams and the sight of trash thrown willy nilly have really begun to put me off. It's easy to get paranoid about crime, but there does seem to be a growing sense of chaos mingled with menace around the boulevard at night culminating obviously with recent unfortunate events. The city itself seems to have a growing shabu problem and it would seem to me that the wild west frontier justice ethic has set in ie "we'll sort this out ourselves with firearms in broad daylight". So overall I am rather saddened to see Dumaguete slip down the way to decay and ruin via the well worn and trodden path of neglect, unfettered growth and lack of strategic planning.

I think contributors are right, infrastructure does not seem to have grown with the city and there seems to be either a lack of city ordnance or will to address the problem. Dumaguete will fast loose it's reputation as a retirement haven for ex-pats if things continue at this pace. Then the regrets and recriminations will set in when it is all too late. So if any aspiring or current politico passes by this post take heed, you have a great city but you could make this a really great and GOOD city.

In comparison to Siquijor, where the daily noise pollution is one of a crack throated chicken in the yard or an equally crack throated local out of his skull on tuba performing "My Way" on the Purok karaoke machine down the way I think I have it fine. Clean air, a 'zero' (um, that's not strictly true, but we will save the good burghers of Siquijor their blushes) crime rate and the throaty roar of the occasional tricycle as it circumnavigates the island highway is as about as bad as it gets. Nightclubs and bars are not exactly my scene any more so one might say that my evenings spent with a cold one sans le Missus staring across the sea at Dumaguete is idyllic boredom - but it floats my boat and I thank my lucky stars.

Btw, I don't know which planet the forum moderator is on! :wink: Central and Southern American countries can be a real nightmare. Remember you are a Gringo. I lived in Guatemala for a few years and had to have an army of bodyguards, Panama is vile, Belize is positively lethal and unless you are in the tourist traps of Honduras then your life expectancy is greatly diminished. Nicaragua can be peaceful as can El Salavador - but all these are countries in the cocaine belt of smuggling, all with their own recent bloody and unfortunate histories. You have to be way outside the major cities to be sure of reasonable security. One of the first things I learned to say there in Spanish was "Lo siento. No soy Americano". I'm pretty sure it saved my life once or twice. So I am going to stick with the Phils for the time being, Dumaguete and all.

Cheers,

C

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This is Mars isn't it? :wink:

Of course South America has its problems....my mom thinks the Philippines is full of Muslim and communist terrorists, every typhoon and earthquake is a direct hit to my house and every accident/event a foreigner is in involved in is me....she's not here and only hears what is news worthy in the US about the Philippines be. South America has its problems just like the Philippines, I doubt the vast majority of events in the news effects the average expat though.

I was going to post why I could never actually move to South America but I remembered I have a security clearance that I'd like to keep. Lol joke na lang!

• Like Like x 2
  4. cebubrit

cebubrit DI Junior Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +23 / 2
    Yes, but does it get you anywhere??

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,530 / 1,016
    Depends, why don't you try it then comment....

• Like Like x 3
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,361 / 1,256
    Here's your picture.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Good on em,let's hope this happens every day and not just a one off due to people pressure!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Irenicus

Irenicus DI Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 7
    I am Dumaguete's planning department.

From Monday to Friday I don't plan on going anywhere between 8 AM and 10 AM or from 430 PM to 6 PM.

Saturdays sorta the same.

Sunday until around 2 PM is nice.

:smile:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    So dumaguete made it onto gma news today for their fb page "I park like an idiot"
    image.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    butt.. untreated sewage runs into it.. and its polluted.. it stinks..