Dumaguete Info Search

Trash!

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by filmdude, Feb 17, 2012.

1. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    do what alot of our hosts seem to do...throw it on the ground anywhere. what you can't throw in the road, burn in your yard or alongside the road. Nothing like the fresh scent of toxins in the air!

Drive through the streets here and just look around and you'll know where the trash is being processed

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    In Batinguel Trash got picked up 2 times a week.

Site-note: I just came back from Moalboal and you see much less dirt on the streets, as well as in the tourist areas at Panagsama beach.

One can also find public trash-bins, which are emptied on a regular schedule multiple times), while in Dumaguete one can see at 5:00am the trash-sweeper at the boulevard, collecting what is thrown on the street.

Most cities I visited seem to be cleaner and more aware compared to all high educated xxx-ians here in Dumaguete.

Many tourist areas support the no-plastic movement ACTIVELY. Not like here, where one week a year you see a poster or two in between thousands of others at a supermarket and a little announcement in a newspaper.

but of course, those no-plastic campaigns are mainly carried by foreign owned businesses of the areas.

Attached Files:

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    This thread reminded me of a political agenda here 5-7 years ago. At that time Dumaguete had one truck per route that roamed the streets picking up trash. Evidently, they determined they were spending too much on the free scavengers at the dump to separate the garbage. The powers that be decided that garbage would have to be segregated, and people would have to pay P100 each for stickers that declared garbage "Malata" or "Dili Malata" from the city engineer's office. (Biodegradable or not) No sticker, no garbage service. No other form of recognition would be acceptable, it had to be these particular stickers.

A few months later there was an article in the paper declaring how much of a success the new program was. Before they had been running one truck per route, and were picking up 43 tons of garbage per day. Now they were running two trucks per route, and they claimed they were only picking up 29 tons per day! They were so proud!

It obviously had not dawned on anyone to wonder WHERE that other 14 tons of garbage was going. People obviously had instantly just stopped making so much garbage!

The elevator of ignorance goes clear to the top floor, even when the common sense elevator is out of order.

Larry

4. Eyeinthesky

Eyeinthesky DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Which is environmental friendly, paper bags or plastics? I believe we cut more trees with paper bags. How much more with fast food chain's styro?

5. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Even better!

6. Angela

Angela DI Junior Member

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    View attachment 8901

An interpretation of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, represented as a pyramid with the more basic needs at the bottom[1]

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is a theory in psychology, proposed by Abraham Maslow in his 1943 paper "A Theory of Human Motivation."

Maslow's theory suggests that the most basic level of needs MUST BE MET before the individual will strongly desire (or focus motivation upon) the secondary or higher level needs.

Most Filipinos fall into the bottom levels of the pyramid - physiological, safety, and love/belonging; most times, even the second level (safety) is still not fully achieved.

Therefore, if a person is worried about where his next meal is going to come from, can one really expect him to spend much time reflecting on those notions categorized in the upper levels of the "pyramid", such as self-esteem, morality, respect of others, problem-solving, and achievement?

And there you have your answer to a host of problems in the Philippines, anywhere from road safety to pollution to animal cruelty to prostitution...

Angela

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    This is very true. You articulated it very well. People can, and should strive to better their world and themselves, and not just look at fulfilling their basic needs though. In my opinion, a lot of people just follow the path of least resistance, and are basically lazy. They are the unambitious, slobs of this world, that generally always take, and try to give as little as possible.

8. Travel Time

Travel Time DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats a bunch of crap. People here aren't that worried about their next meal. I know better!

But denial is King here isn't it?

9. Angela

Angela DI Junior Member

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Perhaps you are used to dealing with a more affluent bunch of Filipinos. Having already acquired their basic needs, they can now afford to have loftier ideals.

However, a large part of the population, if not the majority, is still on a subsistence level. One just needs to venture a bit further than Sans Rival at Robinson’s Mall to see this.

A worker at a fast-food like Birdie’s: 70 to 100 pesos a day
    A pedicab driver: 150 a day
    A teacher at some private schools: 275 pesos a day

Now let’s take out our little calculators and do the math to see how much is left over after having bought a kilo of rice and a kilo of fish…

Now let’s see how many of us expatriates would still be singing to the tune of “We are the world, We are the children” if we were forced to live on less than 200 pesos a day on a permanent basis?

What one needs to do is look up long enough from one’s pint of beer and take a moment or two to look around and observe (and I’m not just talking about a 50-meter radius here). Observe and compare the differences between First World countries and Third World countries…

First World countries: “Save the World”, “Save the Children”, “Save the Dolphins”…
    Third World countries: “Saving my own @ss first”…

You can’t talk Philosophy to a guy on an empty stomach.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well it is about trash in Dumaguete, going through the city since many years, there are not many hungry people with empty stomach around, if one does not count the imported beggars. A huge percentage of the locals and students looks indeed not that hungry...
    The theory sounds nice, thats what all that smart people do. sitting in a office developping theories which sound smart, but are pretty much useless in real world.

the reality in Dumaguete is different.

It is ignorance and carelessness. as long most thrown away plastic wrappings are from candies it is a matter of ignorance, and has nothing to do with a past WWII - 3rd world theory....

... just considering that cleanliness is no problem in other Cities and areas in the Philippines with less money and no high rated educational facilities.

cheers

Rhoody

PS: ... but what do I know, I am only in the PI since 10 years and "breathing, food, water, sex and sleep" works fine with me