Dumaguete Info Search

Tricycle Drivers Strike Starting Monday...Things to Consider

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by shakey, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hey now, some of us aren't that old. I think some of us may see the day when trikes get dramatically reduced. Unfortunately I think the event that leads to this will be a tragic one. Something like a drunk trike driver on the wrong side of the road with a Ceres bus coming in the opposite direction and then minors being killed in the inevitable destruction. It is just a matter of time.

The more these trike drivers strike and the more people realize that life continues to move on without them the closer we get to a city without them clogging up the streets. These trike strikes will never go on for long as they know d*mn well how quickly they could be replaced by a better option. I don't think it will be all that long before they are restricted to the side streets and/or dedicated pick-up locations. There is a breaking point and I think they will be on their way out in my lifetime.

The city is very walkable. Starting from the city center you could walk to any location within 30-45 minutes, unless you are a gimp. From Valencia I can walk to the Dumaguete market and back in about 3 hours. It really isn't that difficult. A good portion of people taking trikes are just being lazy as you can easily walk a kilometer in 10-12 minutes and I've seen plenty of trikes stop to pick someone up only to drop them off 500 meters down the road. It's ridiculous and anyone that doesn't have luggage, very small children or a disability using a trike to go less than 1-2km should be ashamed of themselves.

I well thought out public transportation system with many stations that services the entire city that leaves only a few blocks of foot travel for city residents? Trikes and cabs really aren't needed in the city. Let's not act like this is some impossible endeavor, it certainly has been done. (Not saying that it will ever be done in Dumaguete.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The guy wasn't even drunk in this case. It was raining, the V-Hire tried to pass a tricycle on the highway, and ended up over compensating on the return when some large vehicle, maybe a Ceres liner, was in the opposite lane. So, it's already happened.

I just realized, perhaps you are all talking about tricycles in the city, driving from shop to shop and such. I'm not at all...I mean going from Dumaguete to Bacong or St. Catalina on a tricycle. On the highway, where people are trying to drive the comparatively large gap between "towns" quickly. I certainly see a use case for a tricycle to pick up passengers from the airport and take them 5 km away to a hotel, or pick up a load of drunks at the bar and take them 5 km to their houses.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Eventually enough people (or well connected people) will be killed.

Grab and Lyft will eventually take over this need. They are more easily found/called in cities that have it and they have more transparent pricing. Just a matter of time before this happens. Could be 5 years, could be 20...impossible to tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Rye, I think your view on what is walkable is, in my opinion one generally forthcoming from younger and fitter people. I've worked all of my life in public transport and I know what an emotive issue it is to ask customers to have to walk even a couple of hundred meters when a route is changed. The elderly and inform come out in their droves in such cases to complain, much of it totally exaggerated, but expecting those groups, young children and people laden down with their weekly shop to walk 2 kms is a bit 'pie in the sky'. Will never happen. We tend to measure what is reasonable walking distance by our own capability. I know, I've done it.

Not sure what transportation system it is that you envisage, but on a practical side, if it's radical and expensive, you might see it, but I certainly won't. In the meantime, trikes are here for the foreseeable I suspect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    You are correct and this is changing slowly. There is a clear use case for slow affordable transportation in the city and the motorized tricycle fits this use case very well. Officially the tricycle is referred to as a "motorized pedicab". This is because it evolved up from the human powered pedicab.

On the other hand, although it is good in the city, the speed differences between the motorized pedicabs and modern vehicles is too extreme to manage on the highways between cities.

There are two issues. (1) People speeding in the city (metro area) and (2) slow motorized pedicabs on the highway between cities.

Currently, although it is not being enforced here, it is against the law for tricycles to drive on the national highway. There is an exception available for the portions of highway that go through cities if the city applies for it. This law was enacted some time ago and is slowly being enforced across the country. It is being enforced in the Manila area. You will see areas where the motorized pedicabs only operate on the side streets.

[Tricycles and pedicabs have long been banned to travel on national highways but there are still those that are stubborn. Not only are they disruptive on the highways, but they can also be the cause of an accident on the road. That is why mayors and the police have to be stricter in enforcing this ban]

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/dilg-no-more-tricycles-on-national-highways.html

Slowly, the enforcement is spreading to the more rural provinces. This gives time for the communities to adapt.

Filipinos are very resourceful and tricycles are a good example of their resourcefulness. Tricycles are an incredibly low cost transportation solution. Furthermore they have a very low foreign cost. The side car is made here in the province. Only the motorcycle is imported from off island. This helps to create jobs here in the province instead of paying foreigners (Chinese) money that Negrosians do not have. It will take awhile for the economy to develop to the point it can afford more expensive foreign solutions.

The main problem slowing this evolution down is the smaller surrounding towns that allow tricycles on the main highway. But they have no choice because there is no road that travels parallel to the highway for the tricycles to use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Very informative. Thank you.

7. Caranoche Beauty

Caranoche Beauty DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +50 / 28
    same reason they came up with on one over 59 or under 21 can go out.. knee jerk solutions that solve nothing..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    This would cure the trike issue in and around the city. The sooner the better.

evap-main-1561004520.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Wrong.
    This would replace a jeepney. Here in the Philippines jeepneys are equivalent to buses in your home country. Jeepneys/buses travel limited routes.

A tricycle is equivalent to a free roaming taxi that can take you anywhere.

The current tricycles cost new $1,400 USD It will be a long time before the community can afford $20,000 USD taxis.

10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Bus routes with dedicated stations. No pick-up between stops. Many cities worldwide have successfully implemented a functional public transport system with the elderly, the disabled and children all being able to utilize it. Dumaguete is small and could easily have a system that required minimal walking between the stop and your home. Any areas (long side streets could be serviced by trikes). Public transport should be ran by the city and not private individuals it companies. Any jobs lost would be gained by the required work force needed to maintain such a system. Yeah, people would have to move from one unskilled job to another unskilled job but hey, if you don't like it think about your future and acquire a skill. Such a system is decades in to the future but I think it will eventually come.

As for walking, yeah, the disabled and elderly would still have those alternate transportation options. Humans are very capable of walking. If you are young and not disabled (which most of the population is here) you have few excuses for not being able to walk a kilometer or two in 20-30 minutes. The city definitely needs better sidewalks and shade (forbid property owners from needlessly cutting down trees) but it is not that big of a deterrent.

• Agree Agree x 2