Dumaguete Info Search

Tricycle Drivers Strike Starting Monday...Things to Consider

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by shakey, Jun 14, 2020.

1. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    A huge market for the tricycle that isn't solved by any other method is large scale purchasing. No bus, on any real schedule, is going to take you, your 3 pieces of matched luggage, and your husband with his luggage to the airport, nor are they going to pick up a single passenger carrying building supplies for the home they're building. Tricycles are awesome and needed, but should never be on the highway. The tricycle should take you to the bus stop for those types of journeys.

Every area I've seen has duplicated services on some scale, so going to Dumaguete from Basay for large amounts of building materials isn't something that should be happening. Now is the PERFECT time to enforce the rule of not having tricycles on the highway. Stop them at the COVID checkpoint, ask them and the passengers where their embarkation point was, if anyone disagrees, 500php fine or confiscation of the tricycle, to be returned a week later. No new law, just like helmets, just enforce it. If you can't do it now, you never will. Hell, they can even loan the tricycle to another driver in the town it is confiscated in for a half price rental for a week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Shawn44

Shawn44 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Ok.. it is true... most drivers will not risk or chance it. I had my neighbor do my shopping today . I paid her fare ....she needed to go shopping also. ONLY she was allowed in the trike and yes ..as we all know my pass on tuesday Thursday saturday gave ber access to the big markets

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I am not citing any particular cases but many V-hire van drivers are very tired from travelling too far and possibly doing a return trip too quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Usually bus systems are on a set route and almost non-stop (should change the driver occasionally, of course!) - that would work for most people if say Sibulan to Robinson's Place via National Highway, Silliman hospital and Boulevard (or Perdices) and return the same route. Passes near to 3 hospitals, 4 or more main schools (from what I remember), Cangs, Lee Plaza, Robinson's downtown, Ceres Terminal, Robinson's Place. Feeder trikes could then take passengers onwards if necessary. I know Ceres buses do most of this route but they often are full as soon as they leave the terminal.

I wondered why they did not have such a bus system when I first went to Dumaguete and saw no taxis - I think perhaps the fare they could charge would be too low. I am not sure how Ceres buses manage to be so cheap - are they subsidised?

5. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I never use jeepneys if I can avoid it - like crawling into a tunnel. Buses for me all the time if I had a choice.

6. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I was in the front seat of a jeepney once that was in an accident in Manila. I got a tad bruised, but the people in the back all slid abruptly forward to the point of impact, several sustaining injury. I don't ride jeepneys anymore.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I know it has been explained that this new style jeepney is not a replacement for a semi-roving trike, but also it looks like an electric vehicle. If so, these are incredibly expensive compared to a diesel powered vehicle, the batteries being the most expensive bit. Outside of westernised societies, they are only ever likely to be justifiable in large cities such as Manila, certainly for many years yet.

8. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It would seem to me, that in order to have electric vehicles one would have to first have a reliable uninterrupted supply of electricity. Don't expect to see many of them here. Brownout last night, fleet grounded today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142

Quite, although there are power banks available to store electricity until needed.

10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Power banks here in the Philippines??? Is that a State Secret?