Dumaguete Info Search

tryicycle info

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by richardg, Jan 19, 2012.

1. richardg

richardg DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just wondering if any one has had any experience with having a tricycle.
    Info on the size of the bike required and the design on the side car would be greatly appreciated.
    Also was wondering if the steering is affected by a great deal.
    Was thinking of a Barako 175 with a side car.
    thanks Richard

2. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    if'n i was gonna build a tryke, i'd look into the style that puts the moto in the front center and the passenger area behind the driver, they look more like an easyride/multicab. i saw them on bohol and thot they made a lot more sense than the side car models which seem to have bike/sidecar alignment problems (watch the handlebars being jerked around). they also have nicer passenger seating (IMO) and fewer holes for the wet weather to get ya...

norm : ))~

Attached Files:

3. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I agree with Kelpguy as far as having a rear cab vs a sidecar cab. Its much more balanced and passengers don't have to be as cramped. In the end I guess also matters is it private use or will it be for commercial use. I may suggest a smaller model then the picture Norm posted above though as the extra weight means a fair bit but still that sort.

I see many with 125-150CC bikes and often its just not strong enough especially when you get a load going. But I'd think a 175cc should be fine or a 200cc. Just next time your riding around and see a slow as a snail trike look at what kind of MC is pulling it. Its usually the same handful type of MC's they use.

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I was a passenger on one of those trikes pictured by kelpguy and, from my perspective as a passenger I noticed that having two people in the back, with their luggage, was enough to make it feel like the front end was wandering all over. It did not help that I weigh twice as much as the average filipino but it certainly felt like the front wheel was not getting enough traction.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The number one choice for MC for moving weight is the Honda TMX 155. This MC has a proven track record going over 20 years. In the last 10 years or so Kawasaki and Yamaha have both followed suit. The Kawasaki Barako 175, and the Yamaha STX 125, are both suitable. None of these bikes will you find on the "slow" list, they all have ample power for most loads. The Honda still wins hands down on durability, but for the average use of most foreigners any of the three mentioned above will suffice nicely.

Larry

6. OP
    OP
    richardg

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there.
    thanks for the info.
    I have seen the ones kelpuy mentioned.
    And as he mentioned about the handle bars be jerked around, its only as good as its alignment.
    I need to probably test drive one and talk to the builder before i proceed further.
    I dont want to be driving and spending the whole time trying to keep it in a straight line.
    If all else fails will get a multi cab.
    Thanks to all..Richard

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Generally the handlebars being jerked around is caused by the tires themselves, not the alignment. The tires are often Philippine made tires that have been recapped repeatedly and are badly out of balance.

Larry

8. OP
    OP
    richardg

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for that Larry.
    Recaps as you said are terrible, very hard to balance.
    I was going to get one underway before i got there.
    But will wait so I can be on hand to supervise.
    5 weeks and counting til get there.
    thanks..Richard

9. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    hi richard...
    not knowing why you're thinking about a tryke, how about this:
    take a suzuki mini van (aka multicab) that has the engine under the drivers seat and remove the motor and drive train back to the rear differential, also remove the front suspension, the dashboard and seats. then cut away the sheet metal between the head lites and below the windshield and cut a hole in the floor big enuf to stick a honda tmx inside : )

how to connect it to the bike?
    seems it could be mounted to the bike frame near the engine by making a removable crossbar under the van body that would connect to a ball hitch on the bike so the van part will track like a trailer. if done properly, you shouldn't have any alignment problems.

hell, you'd have a windshield w/wipers, lockable doors, operable windows, lites, 'standard' tires, etc, maybe even rear hydraulic brakes on the van axle. take a couple of rear bench seats and bolt them in length-wise for passengers.

thinking about it, maybe it'd fly but wouldn't it be easier to just drive the van as is?
    norm : ))~

10. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Kelpguy, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I don't think the honda tmx would generate electricity enough to run a windshield wiper motor very long. I think the battery would be flat pretty quick. I like the idea of having cheap motive power for a vehicle though.