Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education TUTORIAL FOR NON-READERS

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Glendazumba, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I agree. When people who know one thing (for example, teaching) descend on a Forum and give "expert" advice on things they know little (often zero) about (this includes 'knowing' about a members wife when the writer knows zilch about her!), it is condescending (a form of patronising) and can, where nonsense medical advice is being given, be outright dangerous.

Members have the right here to refer to their families and not expect to have them analysed.

Individuals sometimes think it is an attack on them personally, and so thrash out with a trollin', when it is just people trying to ensure that inaccuracies are checked and challenged. [Actually, in a separate case, I did note a member who was corrected by a mod but felt powerless to act and so re-directed his grievance onto another member].

I write (a lot!) about things I have knowledge in - even then I often check my facts to ensure I am not making an error due to old age! I am never going to write about zumba or being a mother, as these are not within my knowledge or experience.

It is great to read opinions, as long as they are not dressed up to appear to be expertise.

And I hope Ms Zumba has the decency to retract your trollin' remark.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I did not, as you put it, describe the reading behavior as exhibiting dyslexia. To the contrary, I described her reading behavior as avid.
    What I did is explain that my ex-wife's dyslexia showed in her writing.
    The lady you're defending mowed down the writing problems as "sloppiness or negligence", in other words, nothing to do with dyslexia.
    And that my friend, could not be further from the truth. My ex was tested as a child in the 1960's, was confirmed to be a dyslexia sufferer, got private tutoring, and pretty much overcame her reading problems with much effort, but never her spelling issues.
    Believe me, in the time before spelling correction was built into software, your career options were very limited if you were unable to produce a written report without too many spelling mistakes.
    As a result my ex, who was fairly intelligent, gave up on having a career of her own. Not because of sloppiness or negligence.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    And that lady is a winner.

4. OP
    OP
    Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Wow, you sound mad. I never really intended to mean what you thought I was trying to say. It is again a misunderstanding of innocent or malice-free remarks and I get accused for something I had no intention of causing hurt or harm. I do not want to explain myself lengthily and I am not apologizing because I have not said anything that should cause your ire.

5. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I suspect you never worked around engineers lol. We were the subject of many jokes about not being able to spell and given that most of us did not exactly double-major in English grammar, there was a bit of truth in that assertion. Yet engineers continued to survive at the workplace, spelling deficiencies and all. Before spell-check programs, it was the job of secretaries to correct their spelling when typing their memos and reports. And seriously, it was not just the engineers; secretaries were the spell checkers for all of their principals. In the real world, the only people who had to know how to spell (and always had a Websters readily accessible to them) were the secretaries. We missed them when they began to be replaced by PC's.

6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    If this is all based on mistakes and misunderstandings then why not remove the trollin' you (in my opinion, unnecessarily) gave Dutchie.

7. OP
    OP
    Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Can you point it out to me 'coz I do not see it where you say I am trollin' someone. It must have been a mistake---just show me where and I will remove it.
    It is because of this statement you made which upset Dutchie. You foiled his anger.

Glendazumba
    This message by Glendazumba has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Trollin' Trollin' x 1
  8. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hi Glenda,

They are upset because you gave Dutchie a "Trollin" symbol on the following post.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Omg—I didn’t mean to do that—I mean give that sort of symbol. I must have accidentally pressed that button—so sorry, Dutchie. I never use that symbol—definitely, an accidental thing....really sorry.

• Like Like x 3
  10. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Deleted

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020