Dumaguete Info Search

U.S. Consulate Cebu - Notification of Birth

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by PatO, Oct 19, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Thanks John. It is my understanding you cannot get a passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA (Consular Report of Birth Abroad). The CRBA is now processed in the U.S. to protect from possible fraud using the old issued form and you cannot apply for a passport until you have that. Not sure how long that process takes or when we will receive the document, hopefully, online. We are doing a one-day up and back trip in my car, a friend driving that knows his way around Cebu. I also have to go to the DFA to get my wife's passport authenticated so I can submit it along with other requirements to apply for her U.S. TIN. I tried applying without an authenticated copy and was rejected. Once done, I can claim both her and the baby as tax dependents. I also want to get a social security card for my baby as well as a passport. Did you do that? Cheers

2. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yes Pat, I have SS Cards for both of My Daughters and My Wife has an ITIN # also. When We applied for My Wife's ITIN ( individual tax identification number) We had to get Her last named changed on Her Philippine Passport to My last name and then Her passport had to physically be sent in the mail along with the rest of the paperwork for Her ITIN application to the IRS....cheers

3. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Thanks again John. Was the passport returned to her hassle free and timely? I thought about that but decided to try the authentication process instead; however, if there are not problems getting her original passport returned, that is a cleaner option. Cheers

4. john reynolds

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yes, the passport was returned hassle free and in a timely manner, but We were required to send her official passport to the IRS. Maybe things have changed now. You do have to remember though that I took care of all this on My end here in the States and Her passport was sent back to Me here in California, so I had a little more faith in the IRS getting it back to Me.. On the other hand though, waiting for it to arrive back to Me thru the Pony Express in the Philippines would be an entirely different story....

5. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Larry, you were absolutely corrrect. I had tons of required documentation and it was a hassle-free event. As JR suggested, I also applied for my child's passport at the same time and both documents will be delivered to my house in 1-2 months. Given the consulate hours are 9-11 am, we got up early to take the 5am car ferry across, a ball breaker one day trip.

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Oh, GAWD. I would NEVER have attempted it in one day. You must be insane!

:smile:

Larry

7. john reynolds

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi Ron, how often do the Embassy Reps. Come to Duma? Is it more than one tine a Year?

8. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Never again

9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I think twice per year.
    Ron

10. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Ron, what is the venue for the outreach? It doesn't say Cebu or Dgte, so I assume it is Cebu consulate? If so, I wonder if we could request the 2nd day on Dgte? Just a thought. Cheers