Dumaguete Info Search

U.S official refuses to help u.s citizen

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, May 5, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I had a similar case with a Brit last year and it took nearly 3 months to get him back to the uk and a lot of work and effort.
    The embassy had to issue an etd and there were other notorized papers needed due to a lack of visa. The guy had no money and was in a wheel chair also which made things very difficult. Anyway they did something and he's now back in the uk.

• Like Like x 2
  2. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Warden's FB page if you need to recognize him in person: - Facebook

3. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Pretty prolific FB poster. Wonder if he would have an interest in joining DI.

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Oh I read it, but like Wrye I call BS on that. He has no money no pension or else a quick phone call would sort it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Thanks for the link. I know this guy. I think we have established that the warden position is volunteer and mainly for providing information. This seems like a pointless position in the age of the internet. Any of us could volunteer to do the same even without an official blessing from the embassy.

I wouldn't bother contacting the warden for this issue.

I wonder if this guy even wants help. Friends, family or someone who is at all close to the guy needs to "help" him. Case closed. :wink:

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No email reply from the author of the article yet.

7. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Below is the email reply I just received from the U.S. Embassy.

Dear Mr. H:

Thank you for sending us the article below and alerting us to the fact that there might be a U.S. citizen in need of assistance in Dumaguete City.

Under the provisions of the Privacy Act, the U.S. government may not disclose any record from our files to any person without a written request from the individual to whom the record pertains or without the prior written consent of the individual to whom the record pertains. In this case, we cannot release any information regarding Robert Walter Oest without his written authorization.

Please be advised that the U.S. Embassy offers appropriate consular assistance to all U.S. citizens in distress who approach the Embassy and request our aid. We can help U.S. citizens get in touch with relatives in the U.S. or look into other means of assistance on their behalf. While we cannot offer assistance to resolve every problem, we spare no efforts to assist in ways consistent with law and regulation. U.S. citizens should visit the U.S. Embassy in Manila at 1201 Roxas Boulevard. We can also be reached by phone at 02-301-2000 ext 2246/2567. If you are or know of a U.S. citizen in need of emergency financial assistance, you may also refer to the State Department webpage foremergency financial assistance for U.S. citizens living and traveling abroad or to the U.S. Embassy webpage at http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha017.html.

We trust this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

American Citizens Services
    U.S. Embassy, Manila, Philippines
    Telephone: (011) (63 2) 301-2000 extensions 2246 or 2567
    Fax: (011)(63 2) 301-2017
    /jmm

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I figured this would be the response from the Embassy. They aren't going to share any information about this gentleman without his consent (nor should they) and they aren't going to take action to assist someone when all the information is coming from a third person. This is why I directed my questions towards the man who wrote the article (and seems to be in direct contact with the American that is in need and taking the lead on the man's situation). If the man is mentally ill/unstable and is unwilling to cooperate with getting back to the US and his family is not assisting in any way there is going to be very little the Consulate can/will do. This will be something that the Philippine Immigration will need to take the lead on, or at the very least offer a lot of assistance on IMO. Being mentally ill and a burden to society is grounds for deportation here if I remember correctly.

Note: I'm not trying to say this man is a "burden to society". He needs help, but the best way for him to get that help might be for the BoI to forcibly remove him from this country (where he will never be able to get the help/assistance he needs). It is a shame that he does not have any family that has been contacted yet (we can't be sure of that though); I have only read about a possible brother (who is 81 years old, may not even be alive and I haven't found any contact information for him) and a cousin in the US. I do have a contact number for the cousin. I will not call that number until I have spoken to the author of the article or the BoI (they might have already tried to contact family or have a different/better US contact for him).

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Curious if anyone knows if this man is prior service or a member of any fraternal and service organizations in the US? (Knights of Columbus, Freemasonry, Loyal Order of the Moose, etc)

That would be of tremendous help and getting assistance would be MUCH easier.

10. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The last I had heard he is now on the streets of Cebu. Unless anyone knows anything different.